Just bought a pair of lamps

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
ecs1112

Just bought a pair of lamps

Post by ecs1112 »

Hi all,

I know it is a stretch but I just purchased two lamps that look to be one-of-a-kind in a mid-century FLW-esque style. They are made of wood and brass with the base painted black. They are very tall with spindle tops and the shades held on by light socket. Each lamp has on-off switches on the base. I was wondering if anyone would know anything about who made them or somewhere I could go to get them looked at.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zhijiv3057tqc ... F.JPG?dl=0

toddlevin

Post by toddlevin »

Nothing remotely 'Wright' about this pair of lamps. A lovely, but unremarkable design. You might try poking around on Etsy or 1stdibs, perhaps... t

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yup ... and nope. Deco in natural wood is unusual, granted ...

Thanks for the peek !

S

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

The cantilever is reminiscent of the familiar Taliesin table lamp, which may have been this designer's inspiration.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The shade and finial are pure '40s Hollywood. I'm trying to read the side trim to the upright; is it brass ?

The switch placement is hokey---but practical. Why not center it ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The toggle switches and shades supported by the light socket suggest that these lamps date back further than midcentury. I would hesitate to call them Deco of any sort, however.

peterm

Post by peterm »

I’ve never seen a design like this from the 30s or 40s. I would guess 1960s 70s Danish, or homemade California woodworker studio craft made. Or maybe Wharton Esherick school. That could explain the rather crude hardware store toggle switch and simple hanging shade.

Are they redwood or teak (or?) (Redwood is extremely light in weight).

SDR

Post by SDR »

"homemade California woodworker studio craft" seems about right. The forms are quirky, the proportions odd---one wonders if those are the original shades;
they seem too small for everything else.

The finials are the Hollywood part, for me; the brass decoration rules out Esherick or any other serious designer. I made a table-top candelabra in summer
camp wood shop (age 12) that had a stacked-block base like this one. Combining squared-off base with curvy upper parts just isn't Kosher ...

For the record that's probably a twist switch.

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

Twist, yes.

Nonetheless, the Wright inspiration is apparent. The stepped base evokes the Fallingwater bedside lamp, the cantilever, the Taliesin table lamp.

A pleasant design by a Wright fan? I’m seen plenty of things more awkward than these.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

When researching the Hollyhock living room couch/table/torchiers, we found that the lamps at the top, aimed at the ceiling, were operated by toggle switches. I was in favor of repeating them, even if they were not attached. Ginny said toggle switches (and one might infer twist) on wood fixtures would not meet code. That suggests that these lamps may indeed have been conceived in someone's garage.

SDR

Post by SDR »

In my experience twist switches of the kind usually found on lamps (light fixtures) are more difficult to operate than toggle switches---especially as they
age---in part because the grasped part is so small in diameter. Toggle switches are much less common; if they are not too stiffly sprung, they work well--
unless the fixture is so light in weight that it moves when operating the switch, not an issue with the rotary switch.

S