Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Birdwing by Lloyd Wright to be demolished

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Birdwing by Lloyd Wright to be demolished Reply with quote

https://patch.com/minnesota/minnetonka/minnetonkas-frank-lloyd-wright-jr-house-will-be-demolished

http://www.birdsongmn.com
JJM2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grr. 12 acres and they could not figure out a way to preserve this house? Feels like a trend now in Minnesota where monied parties buy a rare, accomplished work just to deface, or worse, tear it down. It's not like the name Wright is no longer the most famous name in American architecture. And, it's not like Minnesota is afloat in homes by world famous architects.

I was lucky enough to tour the house several years back and was impressed. Cool plan and dramatic cantilevers. Lucky me, unlucky everyone else who will not get the chance.

P.S. Looking forward to a serious critique of whatever those dozen luxury homes turn out to be. That's fair, right?
Matt2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall a Lloyd Wright home in Playa del Rey was threatened some years ago..it's probably gone by now. I wondered what architect would sign on for such a project. Shouldn't there be some sort of AIA standards and practices like a Hyppocratic oath? Do no harm to great architecture?
JimM

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a shame. Looks in great shape.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing new about development woes in the Lake Minnetonka area. Northome, of course, was demolished, and the entire acreage sliced and diced. The great Ralph Rapson house for one of the Pillsbury families went just a few years after it was built on 11 acres. A Purcell & Elmslie masterpiece, the Decker House, gone without adequate documentation left behind. Romaldo Giurgola designed a more restrained mansion for one of the Dayton families in 1970, demolished in 2016 without a whisper.

A mansion with lake frontage is the ultimate goal of wealthy Minnesotans, and no lake is more desirable than Minnetonka. Unfortunately, onerous property tax rates (they ain't got no Prop 13 in MN) make it difficult to maintain the luxury. There are still several Jack Howe houses around the lake, and to see them start to fall would be depressing, but not surprising.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We toured a Jack Howe house, that was for sale, on Lake Minnetonka a few years ago. I was on a rather large lot and the house was not really visible from the street as it was close to the lake. Wonderful house. Totally original with no remuddeling. It was priced at about $2.2M. You could see the lake from every room. It was being sold by the original client's estate. The realtor told us that they had several people interested in buying it and tearing it down. I think they managed to sell it someone who valued it for the piece of art that it was.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not find this project listed or mentioned in Alan Weintraub's 1998 monograph ...

S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: