Harold McCormick House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Meisolus

Harold McCormick House

Post by Meisolus »

In the entry for the McCormick House in the three volume Complete Works, Pfeiffer gives Wright's account of meeting with the McCormicks to show them the drawings. Though Mrs. McCormick rejected the design outright, apparently Wright let them keep the presentation drawings he created. Has anyone ever tried to track these down? I can't help but wonder if they're out there somewhere, in some grandchild's attic.

Does anyone know how many drawings are known? I've seen a few plans and perspectives, but not much else.

SDR

Post by SDR »

There isn't much on record; I imagine you've found all of it. Here are the entries in Monograph 3 (1987) and in Taschen I (2009). There are a few more words about the nature of the project, in the Mono text.

The only illustration found in the Monograph. There's a smaller but more legible version of this sheet in "In the Nature of Materials."

Then the Taschen entry:

The remaining visuals, not here presented at their best -- though the color of the water-level perspective is interesting -- are seen below.

As indicated in the Taschen text, the Wasmuth Portfolio (and its many reprints) contain just three plates for the project: plan, aerial view and water-level view.

SDR

Meisolus

Post by Meisolus »

I was afraid that was it. Maybe I should try and track down the McCormick descendants and see if they know anything? If only I had the time...

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Coonley on steroids. If this extravaganza had been built, it would likely have been demolished, left to molder or turned into a multi-family compound. Rich Americans who can afford such a place tend to think of themselves as akin to European aristocracy, and this house is not chateaux-esqe enough for them, as it wasn't right for Mrs. McCormick. (Wasn't she a Rockefeller?)

DRN

Post by DRN »

A website with a history of the house the Harold McCormick's actually built:
http://www.villaturicum.com/

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

From Dan's Villa Turicum link above ...
“Mrs. McC inclines to being partial to Italian style."
Pretty much says it all. Her final residential choice could be the prototype for today's McMansions ...
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Tom

Post by Tom »

I think the rooms of those two large pavilions with fireplaces on the lake side would have been pretty cool.

If memory serves, Edith and Harold got involved with Carl Jung and his method of psychology and moved to Geneva.
I think Edith became a Jungian therapist after they divorced.
She may have given a large part of her fortune to Jung - not sure about these details.

tulikajain

Post by tulikajain »

nice posting

Matt

Post by Matt »

Did this ever go to working drawings? When I was studying Wright in depth, I was surprised at how many projects wen to full construction docs, but didn't ultimately get built. No doubt this was due to the surprise estimates from builders based on these drawings.

The mid-century architect I'm now studying never seemed to do final drawings unless the project was a go.

brus1987

Post by brus1987 »

Hey everyone,

First message here, but it's been years now, at least 10, that i've been wanting/trying to redraw the McCormick house but somehow always abandoned because at some point I'm not able to interpret the plan anymore.

If any of you have some more information on it, or ideas of how it was supposed to be (or could be seeing other projects of the same period) would be very appreciated!

brus1987

Post by brus1987 »

So far, this is what I've redrawn this time (although there's a possible mistakes in the dimensions as I'm drawing in meters, and in one of the front windows)

Image �€

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

That's an interesting and extended quote from Wright. I assume this might be from one of his chats with apprentices? Has anyone inventoried these chats and created an index of various project/subjects Wright talked about?

SDR

Post by SDR »

If you mean the quoted passage near the top of the thread, that's taken from the Wasmuth Portfolio ...

brus1987, you seem to have it mostly right. The doors to the terrace at left open outward, not in, on Wright's plan. And, in the large gallery at right, it
would be unlike Wright not to give visual access to, and daylight from, the passage opposite the french doors at bottom ... despite what appears on the
Wasmuth plan to be opaque wall.

Nice drawing ! Pencil on trace is getting to be a rarity, isn't it ...!

S
Last edited by SDR on Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

I was referring to the quote in the excerpt from Taschen.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Ah -- of course. We don't have too many of his impressions of clients, do we. I've never seen a copy of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Two-Chicago-Arch ... 0262050072

To anyone who has read the book, is a notable distinction drawn between the clients of the two architects ?

S