Article: Best architects of all time - ranked

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
DavidC

Article: Best architects of all time - ranked

Post by DavidC »

peterm

Post by peterm »

“...of all time?�

History has now been reduced to two centuries.

SDR

Post by SDR »

If Gaudi could be classified as "pre-modernist," then the title might be altered to "Best modernist architects..." ?

And then---let the battle begin ! At least Wright would be in the running...

S

Meisolus

Post by Meisolus »

DRN, the fact that you included Borromini just warmed my heart. I'd throw Guarino Guarini onto the Baroque list as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guarino_Guarini

SpringGreen

"of [WHATEVs] time"

Post by SpringGreen »

Glad I looked at the statements by others here because it's obvious that those who oversaw the article don't know what they're talking about.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

If we are to go that far back, Brunelleschi, Palladio and Robert de Luzarches must also be included. Going back further, who designed the Pantheon?

Since the article mentions "from Frank Lloyd Wright to Frank Gehry," giving the article a narrower window, leaving out Alvar Aalto and Eliel Saarinen is inexcusable. Excluding Le Corbusier is puzzling. But there would be room for all three in the top 17 if Philip Johnson, Zaha Hadid and Rem Koolhas were deleted.

DRN

Post by DRN »

Going back further, who designed the Pantheon?
Most authorities believe Apollodorus of Damascus designed the Pantheon. See the link to his bio in my earlier post.

outside in

Post by outside in »

Imagine the list if the title had been "best artists of all time", or "best philosophers" or "best writers" the entire exercise is stupid and pointless but it does, however, show what a silly society we've become.

KevinW

Post by KevinW »

Silly list etc...but safe to say Gang can be left off the list.
Add a few swoopy details and you're a freaking genius.
KevinW

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

KevinW, I agree. She's Mies plus applique.

peterm

Post by peterm »

I dislike the whole premise of these stupid “best of� lists. Having said that, I wouldn’t be so quick in dismissing Gang. She’s just getting started. I look forward to seeing how this project develops:

https://studiogang.com/project/AAC

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Think of it as more of a "Favorites List." When judging art of any kind, it's pointless to be adamant about who is included or excluded, and in which order. But a list of fine artists that people like enough to bring some favorite to the attention of others is not a bad thing to do.

For instance, I maintain that Ethel Waters was the greatest entertainer of the 20th century, singer, actress, perhaps even dancer (so little of Sweet Mama Stringbean was captured on film it's hard to say). Some might disagree, pointing out the talents of Pia Zadora or Fabian Forte, which they are welcome to do. It's all harmless.

peterm

Post by peterm »

They should call it a favorites list then. But favorites of whom? Critics, architects, or the public at large?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The writers.