Price Tower

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

DRN

Post by DRN »

When I visited in March 1992, I saw the sundial. It had a plaque with FLW’s birth and death years. My assumption was that the Price company or HC had the sundial placed as a memorial ca. 1959-60.
I have an armillary sundial from my father’s yard. It is more precise than a plate dial as the thin gnomon shadow coupled with the curved hour band allows reading of the early and late hours of the day without distortion. The opposing crescent casts shadows as the solstices approach to mark maximum and minimum sun declination.

SDR

Post by SDR »

How does one place the sundial properly ? Is there a North arrow or other mark ? Does the sundial work at any latitude ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

From a print ad for Skippy Peanut Butter with Hermione Gingold:

"Peanut Butter, did you say?" asked Miss Gingold, tickling us coquettishly with the end of her boa. "Why, my dear, I haven't touched the stuff since I was a wee babe. Except once, before the War, I believe I used some peanut butter to patch a crack in the sundial." Well, we were undaunted. And as soon as we cashed another check, Miss Gingold consented to try a dab of Skippy. "Bless you," she cooed. "Why, Skippy does not taste at all like peanut butter. It tastes like fine, fresh-roasted peanuts. The kind senile noblemen frequently fling at my feet with gay abandon. I am decidedly in favor of Skippy."

(It helps if you remember Hermione.)

DRN

Post by DRN »

In the northern hemisphere, a sundial is always oriented with its gnomon pointing to true north. Armillary dials are adjustable to allow the gnomon to point to the North Star. A flat plate dial is set level and an angular gnomon closely matching the location’s latitude angle is set pointing toward true north.

chen1947

Post by chen1947 »

If anyone wanted to add the Arizona Magazine to their collection.Its a great issue showing several Frank Lloyd Wright buildings in Arizona.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ARIZONA-HIGHWA ... SwoI5dFi~e

SDR

Post by SDR »

Got it. Thanks !

I wonder if anyone here has every periodical that featured Wright... I've got a long way to go, on that list.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I bought almost all Arizona Highways that feature FLW in one shop at once for 25 cents apiece. I believe I am missing just one issue from the '40s. The magazine I have never seen is the issue of Time with FLW on the cover.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Didn't think the '38 Time was that rare, and surprised to see it listed a few places in the mid $200-$300 range.

It's a rather nice almost laudatory 3 page article, concise and complete about everything Wright to date, with a few photos including the Hedrich showing Wright at a studio table with the original crew in rapt attention around him. Basically a "rebirth" piece. The other photos are of the Imperial, Taliesin at the time, Fallingwater, Johnson Wax, and the "packing-box desert camp" (?)... which interestingly is of Ocatillo, not TWest). I like the way, for the cover, Wright couldn't help placing an Asian sculpture between him and the rendering of Fallingwater over his shoulder.

So how bad do you want it, Roderick?
(Just kidding! I couldn't replace it for the $35 I paid for it). But you can actually buy the cover from Time for $20...

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

JimM, I will trade you for my Neutra Time cover.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Nope. :lol:

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

Does anyone have a copy of the “The story of the tower� dated 1956?
JAT
Jeff T

DRN

Post by DRN »

I photocopied and bound a copy of Story of the Tower from an original borrowed from a college library....I still have it.

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

DRN is it possible to scan the photos?
I am planning to finish my model of the tower but with the original set of plans I’m confused as to what was built and what was not built.
JAT
Jeff T

Rood

Post by Rood »

Jeff Myers wrote:Does anyone have a copy of the “The story of the tower� dated 1956?
Yes. "Anyone" has. Why do you ask?