Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Hollyhock House Archives Now Online

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SREcklund

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Hollyhock House Archives Now Online Reply with quote

Got a hunch a few of you may be interested in this ... we've released the first batch of digitized Hollyhock House Archive drawings to the public ...

Hollyhock House Archive

Currently, there are 81 items - all drawings; I'm told there will be more forthcoming.

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray ! Thanks, Stan---great news.

I didn't look far to light on an intriguing sheet, unlabeled, identified by the Archive as "Outline Perspective, Little Dipper." I wonder if this drawing should be inverted, as below; it has the earmarks of a perspective
construction tool of the sort used in the studio to create a rendered view like the one I post here, seen on page 48 of Sweeney, "Wright in Hollywood." These 2D plan perspectives often appear on the same sheet as the finished
perspective view of a Wright structure---directly below the view drawing---typically in the early and middle periods of Wright's career.

The parallel lines on the 2D plan view---the four-foot module, broken into three---emanate from a vanishing point well off the sheet to the right; their spacing increases noticeably as they proceed down the sheet toward the viewer,
suggesting that this is the correct orientation of the drawing.

After this plan-in-perspective was made, the architect likely rejected it in favor of the one that was used for the final drawing, seen above; in the earlier version the further wall of the V-shaped portion of the building---with
its stepped blockwork so clearly showing the intended batter to the exterior walls---would not have been visible...

S
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW
Meisolus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic news Stan! How wonderful that they are doing this, and that they're uploading images that are both clear and ridiculously huge. This is exciting.
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being able to really zoom in on these drawings
surprised me to see just how soft Wright's drafted line really is.
Not sure what I was expecting
but it's almost as if he's drawing with a charcoal pencil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: