Price Tower

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

One more vote: The lamp! FLW? Hardly.

SDR

Post by SDR »

And...no. Interesting...but no.

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Jeff Myers wrote:Zoom in

What is that tall skinny pole in the background?
Can't be cactus..?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Zooming in on a low-res image doesn't reveal detail. I'm hoping to receive larger files to post.

The Price House Foundation site includes a gallery of 72 photographs. Images 38-40 show the pole in question; 38 shows the inside of the gate and the top of the "initial" frame...

https://pricehousefoundation.org/gallery/

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

cool
thanks

SDR

Post by SDR »

Arizona Highways, February 1956.

The quality of color printing on the first page left something to be desired but the images are strong nevertheless.

The Benjamin Adelman residence is shown in the final two photos.

"Prevailing impressions," like rumors or clichés, sometimes have basis in fact...?

S

chen1947

Post by chen1947 »

Frank Lloyd Wright designed what he called a "Television Mast" for Price Tower, could that be what the large pols is? Basically a fancy cover for the tv antenna?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Perhaps. It's also a light fixture, with the spiraling placement of lamps that's reminiscent of the ceiling fixture at Jacobs I...

https://pricehousefoundation.org/wp-con ... 76_web.jpg

S

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

Say, anyone know the name of the fiber-mat materials used for the ceilings of the Price house? You can see them a bit in the covered patio photo. Was this a popular material of the time? What is it made of? Is there a trade-name by the manufacturer? I'm researching a Seattle architect who used a similar material in homes and churches in the late 1940s.

SDR

Post by SDR »

https://sah-archipedia.org/buildings/AZ-01-013-0069

"... the Tectum ceiling panels made of excelsior, a shaved-wood and concrete composite."

https://www.armstrongceilings.com/comme ... anels.html

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I would call the tall pole a bit of whimsy.

Jeff Myers

Post by Jeff Myers »

The mast on the Price Tower was for a tv and radio antenna.

Also in the photos of the house you do not see the screens. These were designed for the home originally but I’m sure they were installed a few months after construction finished.
In the plans the chairs for the living room and atrium are not in the plans but the dining table was designed along with the dining chairs. Also in the drawing it shows a pole light, seen in the above photo. Pole light cut from metal tubes and fitted with sockets have been used in Wright homes from Westhope to Samara.

Hillside also had specially requested furniture added to the home that are not in the set of plans.
JAT
Jeff T

SDR

Post by SDR »

In the last of Dave Anderson's photos on page one of the thread, titled "Tower & Statuary," what is the sculpture in the foreground ? Is it there today ?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

According to Google, it is still in place. It was not there at the time "Story of the Tower" was published in 1956. Paging through the 2006 book, "Prairie Skyscraper," I don't find any reference of it, but the corner where it is located does not show up at all, so it may have been there. What is it? I dunno.

chen1947

Post by chen1947 »

It is still there. I think there is marker with a description on it but Im not positive. It is a armillary sundial, but I'm not sure when it was installed.