https://www.schweikherhouse.org/

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tim

Post by Tim »

We toured today. Worth it ... an hour from downtown Chicago, 15 minute from ORD.

Great house.

Tour guide lady was great. Knew her stuff. Good storyteller.

Looks to be very livable too.

peterm

Post by peterm »

It’s lovely, isn’t it?

I visited a while back. Here is another thread with some of my pics:

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... 3297d5c55d

SDR

Post by SDR »

The Hedrich Blessing photos are useful, too; I count nine lightning rods in one exterior shot.

I always assumed the carport faced the street. Is the outbuilding still there ?

Tim

Post by Tim »

Yes, and a much as I'd love to live in a FLW house, I'm pretty sure that I'd rather live in this house.

It is a really practical house. The kitchen is excellent. The bathrooms were made for smurfs ... but I can look past :D

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I particularly like the quality of the wood in this house.
The simplicity of having the entire building consisting of little more than the two materials, rough-sawn wood and (Chicago?) brick, makes this an especially elegant design.

What is meant by "solar dressing room"?

SDR

Post by SDR »

The story at the schweikherhouse site omits mention of the dressing room; the final Hedrich Blessing photo shows it, with a pair of single beds at its western end.
The plan shows a bedroom at the southwestern corner of the building; this must be the room added in 1947 for Paul, Jr. The bath at that end of the house has the
circular tub mentioned in the piece. Perhaps this dressing room, with its twin beds and view of the southern garden, was the original bedroom of the house ?

The story is worth reading as the definitive history of the structure. It was conceived at sea, as the young architect and his wife were returning from their trip to Japan.
The property had been purchased earlier, after Schweikher did work on a neighboring barn conversion. In addition to the child's bedroom, a conference room was
added at the north end of the drafting studio, with apprentice apartment below; perhaps this was subsequently made the master bedroom ? The garage and office
were constructed then, as well.

Consider the 1938 construction date; as the story notes, the big yellow common-brick fireplace predates the one at Lloyd Lewis by a year...

S

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

Very livable home - has a wonderful Schindler-esque vibe.
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright