Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

FLW sconces from Yellowstone's Canyon Hotel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aimenhoodle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:38 pm    Post subject: FLW sconces from Yellowstone's Canyon Hotel Reply with quote

Hi,
I am new to this forum. I joined because I have matching slag glass prairie style sconces from the Canyon Hotel in Yellowstone Park. I grew up just outside the park and these have been sitting in a box since I was a kid in our basement. They were salvaged from the Canyon Hotel and the glass is in pristine condition.
I have only seen one other pair at a residence in Cody, Wyoming that have a metal top on them. I am pretty sure the metal top was not an original part of the sconce and was added by the owner of the house to cast light in a specific way to suit the aesthetic of the arts and crafts house they are installed in.
I am wanting to have the sconces appraised and am going to sell them. I am wondering what person or entity is appropriate to do this appraisal and how can I ensure they fall into the hands of someone who is going to maintain the historic value and appreciate them?
Thanks for your input!
Aimee
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aimee

Welcome, and thanks for your inquiry.

While I am not able to direct you to an appraiser, I can say one thing about your fixtures, without seeing them: They are very unlikely to be the work of
Frank Lloyd Wright, as he did no buildings at Yellowstone National Park, nor indeed at any of America's great parks. There are no Frank Lloyd Wright
buildings in Colorado.

http://wrightonthepark.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/Wright-Absent-in-Colorado-Cook.pdf

Photographs would be necessary in order for any of us here, or any antiques appraiser, to judge the nature of your light fixtures. I am sure we would like
to see them. Any good-sized city should have someone practicing as an appraiser of vintage glass and metal objects.

If you would like to display photos of your fixtures here, I would be glad to help.

SDR
Reidy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A search on arts and crafts auctions turns up a number of firms that deal in such pieces. They'd probably give you a sale estimate, based on a photo, for free, but they'd charge for a written appraisal (and they'd have to see the piece in person).
aimenhoodle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Canyon Hotel sconces Reply with quote

I wonder if I am confusing the sconces with the fact that the FLW Quintin Blair home has stained glass from the Canyon Hotel on display outside the FLW home. http://www.steinerag.com/flw/Artifact%20Pages/PhRtS351-ych.htm
I will get some photos of them taken.
Aimee
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.yellowstone-notebook.com/canyonhotel.html

https://mtmemory.org/digital/collection/p16013coll91/id/637/

https://www.hippostcard.com/listing/yellowstone-national-park-wy-2-postcards-canyon-hotel-lodge-entrance-c1940s/16574605

S
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, aimenhoodle, that must be it. While Wright is the originator of what we call the Prairie Style, in America, many another architect heeded the call...

You found just the right reference. (It is unusual to find the author of the steinrag site giving so much space to work that is not Mr Wright's.)

I for one had never encountered this interesting building (the Canyon Lodge). Thanks !

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(For the geographically challenged, Yellowstone is not in Colorado; it is in Wyoming, Montana and Idaho.)
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I moved it, last week, to see if anyone would notice...)

S
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I encounter the word "sconce" I chuckle, because a neighbor of mine could never get the word right: to him it was a "scone" !

S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: