Anderton Court Shops

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tom

Anderton Court Shops

Post by Tom »

What's the story of this building?
Anybody got drawings?
(flying ramps somewhat similar to those proposed at Price Tower)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/doctorcas ... otostream/

SDR

Post by SDR »

© 1986 A.D.A EDITA Tokyo Co., Ltd.; © 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Anderton is a charming building that needs to be experienced directly to get a feel for the intimate scale.
It also needs a more sensitive paint job, a touch of plant life, and restoration of the top floor apartments so I could move into the penthouse rent-free.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Bill Storrer provides plans showing the apartment. One has to experience the narrow winding pathway up through the building, to appreciate the scale, as RG says...

© 1993 by W A Storrer

DRN

Post by DRN »

It would appear from the apartment plan that to access the upper level sleeping quarters one must leave the privacy of the unit to use the top runs of the public stair, which is not entirely enclosed from the weather?
Or, is the penthouse a separate studio apartment?

Storrer is not very clear on this set of plans where the workspace/kitchen is...I'm suspecting the table and chairs on each is the dining area and the kitchens must be tucked in nearby.
Last edited by DRN on Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

It's a weird building. Dinky as many Wright buildings are, but this one moreso and sort of off-putting given the desire to lure people off the street and into shops.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Roderick, but what would you do without a fireplace?

Thanks for posting the drawings SDR.
The perspective is cool.
but the building is razzley dazzley all over the place.

Siza built a building with a flying corridor that reminds me of this.
Last edited by Tom on Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

The penthouse as shown on Storrer's plan has no kitchen, so it must be assumed to be the third bedroom of the apartment, not a separate unit...?

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Do you see kitchens in the other units?
This is LA (Rodeo Drive) people eat out.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The penthouse is a separate unit, an 'efficiency' in CA terms, intended for the caretaker of the building. The kitchenette is contained in the cabinetry along the north wall.
The kitchen in the principal apartment is the hex SE of the dining set, extending along the south wall. The small square in the kitchen is the 'fridge.

The service stair at the east end of the building, extending from the parking lot to the roof, is largely enclosed, though the access to the exterior court originally did not have a door, which it now has.

Tom, I have had fireplaces in some of my abodes through the years, and have never used any of them. If I want to make 'smores, I use the gas range.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Always head for the top. I wouldn't be nearly as happy with my present quarters, after 34 years, if it wasn't a top-floor unit: no noise overhead. Just lucky; when I took it I hadn't thought about that advantage...

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

A couple of decades ago ( I dont remember how many now)
I sought this building out and walked around in it.
What little I remember was confused.
I remember thinking something like:
"How can this really be Wright?"
My thought about it now, espcially never having seen that perspective before,
is something in the realm of Wright always pushing the boundaries:
wide open, "pedal to the metal"
It seems in some way to anticipate work like Hadid, Himmelblau etc..
I mean 1955!
Crazy man.

But the plan is so formal and geometric.

Tom

Post by Tom »

It's not a contemplative building.
Somehow I associate the core of Wright's work
with some degree of contemplation.

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

It's lack of...something...is clear in the fact that this is a FLW building in the middle of Beverly Hills and yet few even know it exists. Certainly no pilgrimages to see it as you do with the V.C. Morris shop.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Can you substantiate that ? I recognize that it's an understandable feeling---but I know I made it a point to find Anderton on my first or second LA pilgrimage, decades ago. Dedicated Wrightophiles will have become acquainted with this unusual building, I expect...

S