FLW book, summer read

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tim

FLW book, summer read

Post by Tim »

Prepping for my vacation and looking for a book to bring with ...

Have you read this book? If so, thoughts?

Frank Lloyd Wright : The Early Years : Progressivism : Aesthetics : Cities by Donald Leslie Johnson https://amzn.to/31yEkQo

Any other good FLW books (more recent ones) that you'd recommend? Or really any good architecture books ....

Thank you!

SDR

Post by SDR »

No, I have not see that one. Sounds like yet another academic's grappling with the possible contents of the architect's mind and soul. Pearls before swine ?

What I want to know is, what was the critical reception of Alofsin, "FLW - The Lost Years," following its 1993 publication ?

As much as anything, the author with "something to prove" seems as pleased to be able to find fault with his predecessor Wright historians as to make
sense of Wright's "midlife crisis." Paul Kruty comes in for criticism, not only for possibly cribbing from Alofsin's dissertation on Midway Gardens in his own,
a year later, but for failing to provide his (Kruty's) "worthwhile treatment" of that project with a "critical apparatus or conceptual framework" in which the
Midway Gardens could be "adequately assessed."

Searching for his own "conceptual framework" in which to assess the changes in Wright's work and state of mind as he absorbs the European sojourn
and returns to home and practice, Alofsin resorts to comparing Wright's vow to "square himself" to his personal and professional situation, with the literal
(graphic) squares (and rotated squares) he "could have" noticed, in or on various structures encountered in his travels.

Really...?

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Australian author Donald Leslie Johnson's first book on FLW was the 1991 tome "Frank Lloyd Wright Versus America: The 1930s," which was controversial in its day. He subsequently churned out several other books on architecture, some of which seem not to have made it across the Pacific. I don't know about the current book, but the first one was not memorable.

I don't have a problem with Kruty, but Alofsin sounds to me like an over-inculcated, under-educated prof publishing solely so as not to perish.

For a keen assessment of FLW, I would suggest anything by Grant Hildebrand.

An old book you may not have read that is very interesting is
"Urban Utopias in the Twentieth Century: Ebenezer Howard, Frank Lloyd Wright, Le Corbusier"
by Robert Fishman (1977).

jay

Post by jay »

Any other good FLW books (more recent ones) that you'd recommend? Or really any good architecture books ...
"A Place of My Own" by Michael Pollan

Modmom1

Post by Modmom1 »

Not on FLW but he does appear in Mark Lamster's: "Philip Johnson: Man in the Glass House"

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/20/book ... house.html

Tim

Post by Tim »

Good options. Thank you!

Paul Ringstrom

Re: FLW book, summer read

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Tim wrote:Prepping for my vacation and looking for a book to bring with ...
I enjoyed Ada Louise Huxtable's book on FLW: https://www.amazon.com/Frank-Lloyd-Wrig ... way&sr=8-1
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond