Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

T-W FLW Birthday + Discovery Day

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
m.perrino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: T-W FLW Birthday + Discovery Day Reply with quote

Had a tremendous time at T-W today, celebrating FLW's birthday and participating in the first " Discovery Day" at T-W. This event's goal was to increase knowledge and awareness in the community. Over 1,000 people visited during a 6 hour time span. For me, it was tremendous to see just a few of the 'box project' containers and about 14 box project pieces - mostly drawings and paintings, from names I've known for so long. Personally, to see so may people in 'awe', gave added meaning to my 33 years of volunteer service. Continuing in The Cause of Organic Architecture.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hooray ! The place, and the people, continue to inspire, I take it ...

I like this, from John DeKoven Hill; it ends with mention of T West:

"I don't know that House Beautiful was read by men except professional designers. In those days women did make the homes. They conditioned the whole-- And as a matter of fact, it's interesting that most men feel that a
bedroom should be pink and have ruffles and that sort of thing, and that's what they're comfortable with. It's feminine. At least then. I'm talking about then. That's not necessarily what women do now. But that feeling of a
feminine touch is necessary for a man. That was one of the criticisms of Mr. Wright's houses, that they were masculine. And it's a little hard to argue against. I think that's one reason, actually-- Well, the main reason that Mrs.
Wright made changes here [Taliesin] was just to take something of the bitterness off the absence of Mr. Wright. But there were things-- She had the stone piers in the center of the house rebuilt smaller, just a tiny bit, an inch
smaller or something, and better stonework, neater stonework. She plastered quite a bit of the rough stone and put gold leaf on it, which is not good at all. I'm very much against the thing. However, it did do what she
needed to do at the time, and the house became-- The whole desert camp [Taliesin West] became feminine, just transformed from a rugged, masculine, barbaric kind of a creation to a feminine, elegant, shiplike thing."
m.perrino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh that was nice. very nice. THANKS SDR !
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny's interviews have many similar passages. We learn so much about Mr and Mrs Wright, and Iovanna, and Wes. He was very close to them all for quite a stretch of time, as a very young and very capable man. He and Mr Wright
would spend time together, arranging and rearranging artifacts and effects in the house...for instance. And Jack Howe would drag him away from the gardens to learn to draw, and Wes would sit him down and educate him on
structure. He supervised the Lowell Walter house, when he knew so little about pouring concrete but was absolutely sure that the curved fascia had to be made just so...

S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: