Article: Schwartz House - most popular Airbnb in WI

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Nice series of photographs.
Question occured to me: The exterior boards,
(- the issue may have been discussed in another thread.)
They are either painted or stained
Look heavily stained to me - not a bad look in these shots.
But wondering what the consensus judgement is among us who pay attention on WrightChat concerning the preferred finish for a Usonian?
What is the opinion regarding the following:
1.) If I am correct Wright specified unfinished exterior boards for all Usonians.
2.) This proves inadequate and impractical unless owner has annual maintenance program.
3.) Finally, how does one argue for the best exterior finish for a Usonian; visual or maintenance priorities?
"taste is less important than non-conformity"
FLLW

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Check out the photos in Hitchcock, plates 360-3. The exterior appears extremely light. (Also note in the interior photo, the chesterfield couch!)

outside in

Post by outside in »

From what I can gather, Wright thought the cypress should be left to age naturally to a gray color, as seen at Wingspread. Trouble is, Wingspread regularly switches out boards that have deteriorated. The best long-term solution is to apply a stain of some type to preserve the wood. Wright would probably not approve, but if one wants to preserve "fabric", there really is no other choice.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Thank you
FLLW

Tom

Post by Tom »

Fixed glass between piers - strikes me as unusual.
Would have thought them to be opening french doors.
FLLW

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Tom, as you can see from the Hitchcock photo, which was probably the first to be published, there were originally French doors designed and installed.
When they were replaces with fixed glass, or why, I don't know.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Tom wrote:Fixed glass between piers - strikes me as unusual.
Would have thought them to be opening french doors.
The current owner has plans to replace the fixed glass and replace with the doors on the blueprints. The only problem I see with this is that it will make an already dark living room darker.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond