Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Video: Interview w/ John Rattenbury
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Video: Interview w/ John Rattenbury Reply with quote

John Rattenbury Taliesin Architect (Frank Lloyd Wright) - [57:48]

David
SDR

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was an hour well spent.

I certainly have a new respect for Mr Rattenbury, if not as a design architect, then surely as an architect, an apprentice to Mr Wright, a raconteur, and a gentleman. And my
opinion about another person I never met or knew, Olgivanna Wright, has been altered as well. I only regret that I didn't find this video until now, 26 years after it was made.

Now, what do we know about Tim Wright ?

S
Rood

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:
This was an hour well spent.

I certainly have a new respect for Mr Rattenbury, if not as a design architect, then surely as an architect, an apprentice to Mr Wright, a raconteur, and a gentleman. And my
opinion about another person I never met or knew, Olgivanna Wright, has been altered as well. I only regret that I didn't find this video until now, 26 years after it was made.

Now, what do we know about Tim Wright ? S

There is a page devoted to Timothy Wright here ... somewhere, but see:

https://www.dwell.com/article/grandson-of-frank-lloyd-wright-constructs-peaceful-prefab-near-the-legends-famed-school-f9548fa7

Also ... not really said is the sad history of John R's father ... and mother. A film, a TV special, and stage productions have been written and made about them ... in one production Helen Mirren starred as John's mother. See:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/the-architect-his-wife-her-lover-also-his-killer-and-a-grave-unmarked-no-more/article17977561/
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was also a book on the subject, which I lent to Geiger. Didn't get it back.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John's father: Francis Rattenbury, Canadian architect

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francis_Rattenbury

Roderick,
Is this your book?
https://www.amazon.com/Rattenbury-Terry-Reksten/dp/1550390902/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=francis+rattenbury&qid=1559328165&s=gateway&sr=8-1

or this
https://www.amazon.com/Rattenbury-Terry-Rekster/dp/0919203477/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=francis+rattenbury&qid=1559328237&s=gateway&sr=8-2

or this
https://www.amazon.com/Francis-Rattenbury-British-Columbia-Architecture/dp/0774801786/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=francis+rattenbury&qid=1559328237&s=gateway&sr=8-3

or this
https://www.amazon.com/Murder-Villa-Madeira-Rattenbury-twentieth/dp/0297792083/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=francis+rattenbury&qid=1559328237&s=gateway&sr=8-5
SDR

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Numerous photographs of the Empress Hotel, Victoria, BC, are found online. Many of them show the building partially bearded with
opportunistic foliage. It occurs to me that this indulgence, never one that benefits the host structure, is permitted or even encouraged by the sentimental
and irrational component of the building's ownership---analogous, it seems to me, to the folly which permits and enables (not to the betterment of the
individual) human behaviors such as perpetual bereavement...

But that is, as they say, neither here nor there...

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, it was #3.
m.perrino

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many, many thanks David for bringing this to our attention. In all my years at T-W, I was not familiar with this interview. Since my early days, it was my good fortune to be associated with John "R" on different volunteer projects. I have directly benefited from his intelligence, good humor, selflessness and friendship. Presently he is living in an assisted facility, near T-W. Remind me someday to tell the story of the stars and stripes, further demonstrating John's "roll up your sleeves and get it done" persona. Again, many thanks. This meant a lot to me. MP
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Bill S told me that he believes there are only four people left who "were there when." I hope we will find all that any of them have said or written about their time with Mr Wright and at Taliesin---sooner or later, and before it is too late.

S
m.perrino

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early 90's there was a tremendous effort to document in written form and in audio and video formats, the recollections and reminisces of the fellowship. This was everyone, including those not living at Taliesin or T-W. Indira Berendston directed this action for the Archives, which were still at that time housed at T-West, using academic methodology. I'm sure this wasn't the only 'interview' John Rattenbury participated in.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some years ago now, we were directed to an interview with Brandoch. That would be worth looking for. Eric's thoughts and memories would be worth having, and are no doubt recorded to some degree already. (Has anyone inquired how he's doing, after the fire ?)

A thread here devoted to such material wouldn't be a bad idea, no ?

S
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=savewright+brandoch+peters+video&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1997, a hefty, buckram-bound, 2-volume, 543-page (one side only, 12 point, double-spaced) oral history of John deKoven Hill was published by the Regents of the University of California, transcribed from interviews by Maggie Valentine for the FLW Oral History Program. There are only two photos, one in the first volume of youthful John with an older man, taken in the 50s, and another in volume 2 of a much older John at the wheel of a car I cannot identify as to type, with a poodle sitting on the passenger's seat. Of all the apprentices, I would think John's reminiscences be most interesting.

John Geiger put me onto the set. I don't recall what they cost, but 'tweren't cheap.
DavidC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interview of John deKoven Hill

David
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, David !

The Hill interviews are wonderful, but short on dates. He arrived at Taliesin while the Wrights were away in Russia, he reports . . .

The Wrights went to Moscow (to attend the first All-Union Congress of Soviet Architects) in June of 1937.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/990146?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents

Who is the Valentine who interviews him ? Clearly someone knowledgeable about Taliesin and Wright---and commendable for his or her insertions of historic fact: names, locations, etc.

S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: