Ennis House for Sale

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Paul Ringstrom

Ennis House for Sale

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

Surely twenty-three million dollars is a new high for a Wright property ?

S

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Tim

Post by Tim »

Geez. LA is truly LALA Land.

The WSJ has an article (yesterday) on spec houses in LA. All ... $50M to $100M.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

One restoration I didn't expect, but am glad to see, is the new garage door. For decades, the garage was a gaping maw with typical garage-for-everything-but-the-car stuff in it. Now it looks as it should.

In case anyone in the 'choir' is unaware, FLW did not design any furniture for the house during the Ennis regime; the newly-built furniture is from the Nesbitt era.

For Los Angeles, $23M is not out of line; many houses have sold for more with less to offer. But I suspect Ennis will stay on the market for a long time and sell for considerably less. And, yes, this is a new high for FLW. The current record is $5M for Storer.

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

They wanted $3M for Sturges with a hefty restoration fund. Did it ever find an owner?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

An interesting factoid: The house has had the same water heater since built. It is a demand heater located in the laundry room (under the guest bedroom), which is over 100' away from the master bath, so getting hot water to the shower takes quite a while. I wouldn't be surprised if that has been scotched.

Another: There is a trap door in the billiard room leading to the area beneath the living room all the way to the master bedroom, a fascinating space ranging in head-height from about 12' downhill to less than 5' at the peak.

And... : Above the master bath is a 'room' 8'x9'4", 8'high, accessible only from an aperture on the exterior wall above the pool area. The only reason this exists is for proper massing of the exterior. It would make a perfect shelter for a resident falcon ... although if birds do inhabit the space, I suppose they are pigeons.

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Matt2, Joel spent $3M on the restoration. Whatever the asking price or deal was with the recent sale, it ended up costing 5 mil.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Given the apparently insatiable appetite for more interior space (do upwardly-mobile owners these days use the sq ft number as a point of pride, when
comparing properties ? I suppose they do---and always have . . .), what would keep the new owner of Ennis from developing and finishing that sub-floor volume . . .

I guess a permissible fenestration of the spaces would be perforated blocks replacing opaque ones, where needed, in the upper reaches of the plinth ?

S

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

When Burkle bought the house the story was that it carries a deed restriction requiring public access on some minimum schedule. Has anything come of that? For that matter, was the story true?

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

Reidy wrote:When Burkle bought the house the story was that it carries a deed restriction requiring public access on some minimum schedule. Has anything come of that? For that matter, was the story true?
My understanding is that the LA Conservancy has an easement that requires 12 days a year of public access. How those days are defined has always been a bit of a mystery.
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

Matt2 wrote:They wanted $3M for Sturges with a hefty restoration fund. Did it ever find an owner?
It didn't sell in the initial auction, but was purchased sometime later by a trust. I've heard nothing regarding the new owner, but a Conservancy contact tells me they are preservation-minded.
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Ennis house - [4:35]

David

Bill Swan

Ennis House has Sold

Post by Bill Swan »

Have seen several reports that the Ennis House has sold - https://archinect.com/news/article/1501 ... 18-million