Harris Floor Covering?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Matt2

Harris Floor Covering?

Post by Matt2 »

Anyone know what sort of carpeting this is? It's a pix from Hamilton Harris house in Fellowship Park. Thing is, a northwest mid-century architect also used this same sort of checkerboard looking floor covering.

http://architectsandartisans.com/blog/w ... -jpg1_.jpg

peterm

Post by peterm »

That is seagrass carpeting. Harris preferred this. It was readily available from the 30s through the 70s. I remember seeing it as a staple at Cost Plus (now World Market) for dirt cheap. It’s durable to an extent, but the seams holding the squares together would often break. It had s nice, earthy grassy smell.

This is the closest to what I remember. I wish it was still available. Maybe it is, but I haven’t seen it for years:

https://www.ebth.com/items/4369602-natu ... s-area-rug

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

Thanks. So that checkerboard effect comes form laying the tiles in alternating pattern? This wasn't a carpet that was rolled across the floor. The mid-century architect I'm researching used it in several Seattle houses. I wonder if he got the idea from Harris or if this was a popular product with modernists of the time.

SDR

Post by SDR »

No, it came as carpet, in various sizes. The variety that my parents placed in our living room, for a while, was thick enough that I don't think it would have rolled well, so it may not have been sold as carpeting.

It shows up in vintage photos of mid-century architect-designed houses. The Birtcher house of Harris comes to mind; Craig Ellwood and Gordon Drake houses are shown with the product, in "Modernism Rediscovered" (pp 34, 103, 135, 331).

An early photo of the Pilot House, Model 102, at the Mutual Housing Association, LA, by Smith and Jones, shows the material in the living room.

The version that we had frayed at the edges before too long. I think it would have sold at a lower price than conventional carpet . . .

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

The color photo linked by Peter shows a variant that is made of squares twice the size of an individual "tile" -- note the seam running down
the middle of every second diagonal square. These seams are seen in the Birtcher living room, but I don't see it in the second photo below.

The Birtcher residence, two photos:

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

There's a difference between the vintage product and the contemporary one: in the former the points of all diagonal "tiles" or squares meet; in the modern version there is a central "dead spot" in the pattern.

In the vintage material, as I recall it, the individual "tiles" are lashed or sewn together and there are no seams running across the fleld through the middle of the tiles. Oddly, there appears to be one of each type in the Harris Bircher photos above.

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Here's a source of info on the Fellowship Park house of 1936:

https://socalarchhistory.blogspot.com/2019/

Clips from that page:

Fellowship Park photos © Fred R Dapprich

Last edited by SDR on Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

From Lisa Germany's monograph on Harwell Hamilton Harris:

© 1991 by the University of Texas Press

SDR

Post by SDR »

The sliding glazed sash found at Fellowship Park -- around which that house was designed -- came from Harris's earlier residence for Pauline Lowe and Clive Delbridge (Altadena, 1933-4).

They were subsequently rejected by that client, and so were available to Harris. And a later house, for Mr and Mrs George Bauer (Glendale, 1938) has very similar sash as its window walls.

As a bonus---two more images of grass checkerboard floor covering. Again, apparently, there are two varieties. Germany points to the 12-inch squares as aligned with Harris's 3-foot module.

Image Lowe

Image Bauer

Photographs by Fred R Dapprich

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

Thanks for the great information. Should I assume sea grass has a similar texture as sisal...which I find rather prickly?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Yes, I think so. Not as bad as a cocoa doormat, but not soft by any means.

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Not comfy on bare feet.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Another issue---at least with the product as I knew it---is thickness, which can be a problem at the edges when used as an area rug. If the room were prepared for it, used as wall-to-wall, that might not be an issue.

S

peterm

Post by peterm »

They are still available. Myth busting, too:

https://retrorenovation.com/2019/05/14/ ... s-made-of/