Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

HCPrice items at Wright Auction House June 5 2019

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRN

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: HCPrice items at Wright Auction House June 5 2019 Reply with quote

It would appear that the Wright Auction house in Chicago has paired items from the estate of Carolyn Price with items from the collection of former apprentice Roy Varenhorst. It would appear Varenhorst had amassed a number of original drawings from the Price Tower presentation drawings, and some from Wright residences of the period as well. (Starts at lot 410)
https://www.wright20.com/auctions/2019/06/important-design-including-post-war-contemporary-art

Of note if RJH is reading this, a preliminary plan and elevation sheet of the Haynes house (lot 452)
https://www.wright20.com/auctions/2019/06/important-design-including-post-war-contemporary-art/452

I appreciate that the Wright Auction house lists the provenance of the items they sell.

I do wonder though if Varenhorst’s collection was authorized or if this was a case of what BBP described as “ It was all I could do to keep the apprentices from stealing drawings.” when he first started organizing the FLW Archive.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't come across that; where did you find the quote---do you recall ?

Thanks for the links . . .

S
DRN

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBP noted that during a conversation when I attended a meet and greet fund raising luncheon at BBP’s house at Taliesin West in October 1998, in conjunction with a preview of the Ken Burns documentary. During a conversation, I asked Bruce about how he got started as the archivist for the Foundation. He noted that by the early 1960’s the project files were in disarray as the drawings had been used for years for reference on subsequent projects, and that drawings were often misfiled with other projects; some drawings known to exist were unfindable. Bruce noted he knew over the years drawings had “walked” and did what he could to secure the collection.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: