Heritage Auctions' site

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
SDR

Post by SDR »

And here are forty-three (!) sheets for the Frederick house, which John Eifler has said he regretted not having at his disposal when working on the restoration of that property.

https://fineart.ha.com/itm/decorative-a ... ion-120115

The scale of this theft from the Taliesin archives---what else can it be ?---keeps growing. It would be interesting to know when that happened, and over what period of time. One could look for each of these projects in the
Monographs, to see if any of this material was present to be recorded for those publications, in the 'eighties. I have not yet undertaken that search.

It amazes me to learn, from Bill Schwarz, that there was no reproduction equipment---no diazo machine, no other large-format copiers---at Taliesin, well into the 'fifties. We read again and again, in the literature, that originals
were sent to clients with requests to copy and return---but that no in-house printers were available that late in the career is frankly astounding.

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

ha! ... keeping their overhead low?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Here are thumbnail listings from the Heritage Auctions site, of the 50 lots of Wright-related items on paper that I could find in a cursory exploration of the pages we've looked at so far.

There are many many sheets which are signed by the architect, and at least thirteen original colored-pencil-and-ink presentation renderings; more than a few lots contain full sets of construction documents.

The captions to the lots are not 100% reliable as to date, or content, or medium, in certain cases. The word "renderings" is used quite freely, for instance.

I have so far identified two or three projects here which are presented without illustrations in the Monographs and in the Taschen volumes. Much further research could be done. Several of the unbuilt projects will be entirely new for readers here . . .

I'll leave it to someone else to add up the amounts reaped by the sale of these treasures---if there is any interest in that aspect of the thing.

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image Image Image

Image Image

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

A couple observations:
--the marketing for this auction wasn't great as I'd have bid on some items had I known more about the auction
--The prices were not what they would have been a decade ago when a set of original drawings would have reached 6 figures easily.
--At least the auction didn't divide the sets up and sell each sheet individually.
--And it's nice of the auction house to keep the images up so folks like us can study them.

Tom

Post by Tom »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Hurrah---and thanks, Tom.

Doesn't the house look fine. I wonder about the unusual figured veneers to some interior surfaces, including the original kitchen cabinets. What specie is that, John ?

When a contractor or sub comes across unusual---often unique---flitches of veneer, a decision is made, sometimes by the owner, to employ them in a special project like this one.
I assume that is what happened when this house was being built---a happy accident of timing ? The result, of course, cannot be duplicated at a later date.

The plan is a unique one, too; I note the repeated use of a certain shape to the masonry elements.

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Hurrah indeed.
The house looks drop dead gorgeous - especially compared to the before pictures.
Judging by the before pictures one would think FLLW was a crap architect.
In some sense it's not the same house as the "before".
I'd love to know a lot of technical stuff here.
My main question concerns what does it take to maintain a house like this?
What needs to take place so that it does not revert to the "before" condition?

Matt2

Post by Matt2 »

It seems that one maintenance responsibility is the care and feeding of all that wood. It appears that someone may have bleached some rooms a lighter color and that now they've been restored to a darker tone. But overall the before pictures indicate to me wood that hadn't been re-stained or oiled in a long time, giving a sort of dried out appearance.

The treatment of the clerestory windows is unique. I wonder how all that upper level wood cuts down on the natural light.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Yep, lesser architects would have put all glass up there.
This element in Wright's work intrigues me.
Such an abrupt contrast between lower windows and doors and
upper clerestory wood "oculi" (?)
Where does this come from in Wright?
Is it in part an anti glare device somewhat like Kahn?
My answer, extempore, is the ground of the "organic".

Wright's built conception here is heresy.
Nobody else would have done that - nobody.
and it's gorgeous.

SDR

Post by SDR »

There are four or five postwar houses with that porthole clerestory detail; they're listed on this page:

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewto ... d1295c4bbd

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Here's the principle Fredrick thread . . .

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?t=7669

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

It amazes me to learn, from Bill Schwarz, that there was no reproduction equipment---no diazo machine, no other large-format copiers---at Taliesin, well into the 'fifties. We read again and again, in the literature, that originals were sent to clients with requests to copy and return---but that no in-house printers were available that late in the career is frankly astounding.
In a 1950 letter from Muriel Sweeton to FLlW, she notes the presentation drawings will be sent back to Taliesin as soon as Alfred (J.A. Sweeton) gets them printed. Mr. Sweeton was a naval architect and had relatively easy access to the diazo ammonia based printing equipment of the day. I suspect many clients didn’t.

My question is how did all of these original drawings, not to mention the print sets, get in one collection for sale at one venue?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

One plan that doesn't appear in either Mono or Taschen is a project for Harold Price, Jr. based on the Jester House. The prairie seems an unlikely place for an infinity pool.

PrairieMod

Post by PrairieMod »

Kathryn Smith describes this previously unknown project for the Price Family on the last spread in V6/N3 of the Journal OA+D:

https://www.oadarchives.com/product/jou ... -pre-order

SDR

Post by SDR »

Does anybody have a total for the number of times Mr Wright proposed a version of the Jester/Loeb opus to a client ? Would this be his most-often-revived residential design ?

S