Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Architecture in the Age of Gehry
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, on the bright side, you'll have a chance to see a new Gehry building up close and personal (as they say). Maybe there'll be a pleasant surprise ? Stranger things have happened.

Or maybe you've seen the advance "artist's rendering" already, and there's no hope . . .

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are, indeed, drawings published in AR. Not promising. I have had direct contact with Gehry in 4 buildings. Two early buildings in my neighborhood, Danziger and Faith Plating (demolished) were expertly done; two late buildings, Disney and Wiseman, suggest to me that he and his computer-savvy minions should not be practicing architecture.

I recall radio in the old days, with vacuum tubes. Listening to "An die Freude" with the inevitable static was not satisfying. Gehry's architecture is like radio static without the Freude.
jay

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there's one thing truly positive about Gehry's work, it's that his public buildings seem to vividly convey that architecture can be vastly more expressive than conventional buildings. Surely, for architecturally-minded people, this is no revelation. But for people who don't have much interest in architecture, I'd bet that simply seeing a Gehry building might give them a small moment of contemplation. They might not like the work, might even find it offensive, but at last, Frank Gehry made them think about architecture for a nanosecond.

I've only been in one Gehry building, the EMP in Seattle. As a music museum, it was interesting to compare it to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame building, by I.M. Pei, which I'd also visited maybe a year before... The Gehry building seemed far more appropriate to the spirit of musical creativity, while the R&RHoF just felt cold to me.

I also think this apartment he did is pretty neat:
https://www.dwell.com/article/peek-inside-the-frank-gehry-rental-of-an-emerging-l.a.-furniture-designer-79546ef8
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One looks a long way back over one's shoulder, to the young Erich Mendelsohn, to see the kind of Expressionist work that Gehry appears to aspire to.

And then, there's always Ronchamp . . .

S
steffanronan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing such an informative thread, It will really helpful for people.

Residential Architects Oakland County Michigan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: