Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Ingraham House in Fargo, ND
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't. In my city, long-time businesses large and small are making way for new commercial space and housing---an incredible and seemingly
insupportable amount of housing, only a minor percentage of it "affordable." So, though everyone acknowledges that we have a housing shortage, the
idea wasn't necessarily to provide luxury residences for the hi-tech set, at the expense of everyone else.

This week we learned that our long-time supplier of hardwoods and sheet materials is closing next month; a warehouse leased by Amazon will occupy
the site. One of the last mid-town independent bookshops is gone; a legacy supplier of tires and batteries, just a block from the Civic Center, will close
by the end of the year.

Is this happening in all of our large cities ? I realize that change is inevitable . . . but what I see is eerily confirmative of the abstraction, as we are told
of the growing split between the haves and the have-nots, in this wealthiest of nations.

S
Matt2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I see happening is a free market system that is no longer benefiting everyone. Much of this has to do with our technological revolution which is displacing many of the factory and distribution high-wage medium-skill jobs of the industrial revolution.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have known for a long time that the rate of change has been accelerating---in any sphere of human development you care to name. A relatively recent
manifestation is the rate at which computation speeds are doubling. A valid concern is that the pace of change will outstrip the individual's, and society's,
ability to react and respond . . .

S
Rood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

During the historic flood of 2009 in Metro-Fargo, it was people cooperating with their neighbors which greatly reduced flood damage. This news story and accompanying photos describe some of their experiences.

https://www.inforum.com/news/weather/983496-Tens-years-on-flood-of-09-remembered-as-a-victory-paid-for-with-sweat-tears?
DavidC

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Home in the Tradition of Frank Lloyd Wright

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: