Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Spaulding Print Room
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ladies and gentlemen

http://www.hookedonthepast.com/spaulding-print-room/

I Hope you like it and do not miss the interactive version here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/MaqUfuGdpZY9yqKk6

JimM

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very, very nice (as usual!). While a wood display was certainly a possibility, it appears overwhelming... the cloth or a textured field to display prints is much more pleasing, to my eye anyway. A light pallet may be safe to assume, but I also question whether the wall plaster would not have been tinted. But then again, just about everything concerning the project is anyone's guess since it never progressed beyond sketches.

The room would have most likely been a private concern (they did have a vault at their country estate and their house in town has been considered a likely location). The museum had already built a Japanese court by this time and there is credible belief that the print room actually was Wright's inevitable response to it. Regardless, the collection is rarely seen by the public to this day.

Wonderful addition to the list!
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A beautiful, beautiful job, no ? Satisfying in virtually every aspect.

A pleasant surprise is the contrast between the warm tones of the architectural environment and the rich blue found in the prints. And those prints are hung with exquisite care, making a very nicely-composed ensemble.

One is struck, at last, by the pale quality of the rendering---but this is surely preferable to a denser effect which would have emphasized the wood grain in places where that might have been desirable ?

Finally, the furnishings, the lovely hanging light fixtures, the rug and that great Roman-brick chimney breast, are all just so fine . . .

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimM, as I posted earlier (page 11), the gallery, according to Julia Meech, was to have been built in Wm. Spaulding's mansion at 99 Beacon St., NE. The building is still there, though it was remodeled into 3 separate multi-family structures long ago. An aerial view shows that it originally was constructed in a U shape around a court (now filled in), which could have accommodated the gallery.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, wonderful job! I like that you posted alternatives for the display walls of wood and cloth. Frankly, I cannot make up my own mind which it would have been.
SREcklund

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Ladies and gentlemen ...

Bravo, David! Stunning as usual ...

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
DavidC

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, David, for sharing your nothing-short-of-wonderful work with us. It is such a pleasure - and treasure - to be able to view buildings, rooms, and furnishings we could never have otherwise.

Congratulations on another truly such marvelous work!

David
David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your kind words!

Chad and I are very happy with the result.

SDR: The brick used in the fireplace, come from photographs taken at the Robie house

As an anecdote, in my work as an architect, I once tried to convince the builder to color the mortar between the bricks in the same way that Wright did in the Robie house (lighter in the horizontal mortar and darker in the vertical one). The builder said that I had gone crazy ...

Last edited by David on Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:16 am; edited 1 time in total
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup . . . I can believe that. A builder like Wright, to succeed, must inspire and inculcate, first and foremost by insisting on the thing. It doesn't hurt to create
an aura, to have founded a faith, based on oneself and on a Vision . . . so that one's attendants can spread the word, and make it stick ?

How else do you explain the phenomenon of a self-built abode made entirely of desert masonry and mahogany, on a teacher's salary, where completely
superfluous delights like a row of labor-intensive perfs is faithfully carried out, when all the man's family really needed was shelter . . .

S
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the answer to that is, presumably, that the client sought and received a design for his home that came from the mind and hand of a genius architect---
that this is what the client wanted and was willing to sweat and toil for, over a period of seventeen years.

The job of the artist-architect is likely a thankless one; he attempts to construct, by means of client and bank and drafter and builder, a work of art that also
functions as a habitable and lasting dwelling.

S
JimM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick... safe to assume Meech's reference to the "Back Bay townhouse" and Beacon Street are one in the same? By "in town" I was deferring to her and that location, as opposed to their country estate with the vault.

Meech does make clear she believes Wright's design was speculative and thought Wright may have been "goaded" by the interiors of the Fine Arts' Asian galleries. He certainly had hopes for the room, enough so to retrieve the plans from the Spaulding's in 1918, and sending them on to the Met in New York. The only response was their immediate return.
DRN

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A serene, almost temple-like space. Wright saw nature as divine and capitalized the N. Was the print seen by him as a form of scripture, perhaps?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: