Palm Springs / Lautner, et al

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Paul Ringstrom

Palm Springs / Lautner, et al

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

Image . . Image

Image . . Image
Julius Shulman photos

Image . . Image

Tom

Post by Tom »

Wow

SDR

Post by SDR »

The images are from John Lautner's memoir, edited by Frank Escher and published posthumously, in 1998, by Birkhauser, in Basel.

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Lautner's preface:

Dedicated to

The Legacy of Sullivan and Wright and the Taliesin Fellowship

My co-operative Clients!

The Contractors working mainly with Owner Builders:
Paul Speer, Johnny de la Vaux, Wally Niewiadomski, Doug Cameron and others

The Engineers:
Edgardo Contini, Dick Bradshaw, T Y Lin, Joe Porterfield, Lloyd Dysland, Andrew Nasser, Barney
Cardin, Kamal Amin and others

The Architects in my Office:
Guy Zebert, Peter McCallum, Chris Wojciechowski, Terry Waters, Jim Charlton, Herb Greene, Bob
Marquis, Angela Zar, Andrew Nolan, Vaughan Trammell, Andrea Simoncelli, Eduardo Bross, Warren
Lawson and others

My current Staff:
Helen Arahuete, who has been the chief Architect in my office for more than 2O years; Christine Tanaka,
my Business Manager who has kept us alive and who helped on the book; Julia Strickland and Duncan
Nicholson

My Family:
My wives Mary, Elizabeth and Francisca who gave full support and the children Karol, Michael, Mary
and Judith

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Thanks SDR
really like this small project.
Love how the top unit turns the corner 90

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Interesting. I didn't know Herb Greene worked for Lautner. His own work needs to be published more extensively.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Is that a clerestory in the roof above the central space

Tom

Post by Tom »

Roderick Grant wrote:Interesting. I didn't know Herb Greene worked for Lautner. His own work needs to be published more extensively.

I didn’t either
Kinda cool

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

DRN

Post by DRN »

The Desert Hot Springs Motel was/is a masterpiece. A lot can be learned about provision for daylighting, privacy, indoor/outdoor living, and open plan living, in a high density development with this early project.

SDR

Post by SDR »

"This is when we came across the Desert Hot Springs Motel for sale. The property is essentially a residential fourplex that was being operated as a roadside motel. We fell in love with the then derelict property immediately and knew we were the duo to rehab it."

This I find odd: Don't the owners know the history of the building---that it was built and operated as a motel ?

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

It could be a quote taken out of context, thereby implying another meaning.
The motel rooms are designed with full kitchens much like studio apartments, but that may have been out of necessity given the very rural nature of the site in the immediate post war...dining options were limited, and the clientele, by some accounts, were looking for privacy. To my understanding, the building always functioned as transient lodging.

jay

Post by jay »

For what it's worth, here's the Lautner Compound Instagram page:
https://www.instagram.com/thelautnercompound/?hl=en