Aaron Betsky Lecture 2/13 in Columbus OH-6pm

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Modmom1

Aaron Betsky Lecture 2/13 in Columbus OH-6pm

Post by Modmom1 »

Happy New Year everyone! I thought I would pass on this information:

Aaron Betsky / School of Architecture at Taliesin

Center for Architecture and Design / 50 W Town St, Columbus
February 13, 2019 - 6:00pm
Aaron Betsky will lecture at the Center for Architecture and Design, 50 West Town Street, Columbus. The lecture will begin at 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 13 with a networking reception to preceed it at 5:30 p.m. The talk is co-sponsored by the Knowlton School, AIA Columbus and the Center for Architecture and Design.

Betsky is president of the School of Architecture at Taliesin (SOAT) and a critic and author of more than a dozen books on art, architecture, and design including a forthcoming survey of modernism in architecture and design. Trained at Yale, Betsky has worked as a designer for Frank O. Gehry & Associates and Hodgetts + Fung, taught at SCI-Arc, and served as the director of the 11th Venice International Architecture Biennale. Before becoming President of SOAT, Betsky was director of the Cincinnati Art Museum.

https://knowlton.osu.edu/event/aaron-be ... e-taliesin

SDR

Post by SDR »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Betsky

Thanks, Mm. Will you be attending ? It would be good to know -- in advance, ideally, but whatever -- if the lecture will be recorded and made available.

S

Modmom1

Post by Modmom1 »

Yes we will be attending. It's being hosted in part by Knowlton School of Arch (OSU) and they usually livestream their lectures. My younger daughter goes there so I can verify this and let folks know. This isn't in their usual lecture hall, so perhaps a nudge indicating interest might ensure the event will be accessible to those on the web.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks for that. Enjoy, and do let us know what you take away from the evening !

S

Modmom1

Post by Modmom1 »

Aaron Betsky lecture will be live-streamed on Knowlton School of Architecture FB page and will be posted in about a week on you tube. Starting in about 20 minutes (6pm EST)

Modmom1

Post by Modmom1 »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Wow---seems from the written description that Mr Betsky is contemplating some post-material environmental design, of one sort or another ?

S

Modmom1

Post by Modmom1 »

Yep, No need for new buildings. I believe he addressed an important subject. Worth watching!

BTW I was very happy to read this from the AIA: https://archinect.com/news/article/1501 ... n-new-deal

SDR

Post by SDR »

Quoting from the AIA statement:

"Most notably, the bill calls for densifying urban areas and demands the U.S. 'upgrade all existing buildings and build new buildings, to achieve maximal energy efficiency, water efficiency, safety, affordability,
comfort, and durability'�both of which would have huge impacts for how and what architects design."

So---we seem to have conflicting prescriptions: no new buildings (Temko) vs new buildings (Markey and Ocasio-Cortez). I think, human nature (and economics) being what they are, that the AIA supports the more likely scenario ?

Does Mr Temko suggest that we stop eating, too, and selling things to each other ? Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing (or reading) everything that he had to say . . .

S

Modmom1

Post by Modmom1 »

Regarding Aaron Betsky, I think he was addressing the de humanizing nature of sprawl and the need for architecture to address the re-use of existing buildings and public space instead of the continual desire for new. He commented on how the majority of new buildings are "***" and adding to the problem. I will post a link to his lecture once Knowlton(OSU) posts the lecture on you tube.

Regarding the AIA endorsement of the Green New Deal, the urgency of the need to address climate crisis vs the monied special interests that fight the change is a battle that is currently being fought. I'm glad the AIA is taking a proactive step to counter the forces that want to to keep the status quo.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Indeed. Thanks !

S