Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Wright / Schindler Furniture Stolen!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that I would go so far as to claim Wolfe a precursor of Fallingwater, but it did seem to be celestial object that had alighted on the edge of a steep cliff, and might have flown off at any moment. It is one of RMS's most brilliant designs, and a tragic loss.
Modmom1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from the article David posted: "According to the Times, the crime was never reported because it was assumed that the stolen items weren’t valuable."

Not a detective but in my book suspect # 1 would be the fool who deemed the stolen items not valuable and thwarted an investigation.

Hard to believe LA, with all it's money would allow such a masterpiece as Wolfe to fall in disrepair, let alone be demolished by a developer who wanted another McMansion.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod, you overestimate LA. Real estate development is all that matters here. But Wolfe was not in the City of Los Angeles, it was in Avalon, on Catalina Island, which is County of Los Angeles, and is even more rapacious when it comes to development.
Reidy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part about not knowing the value of the pieces is hard to credit. The theft supposedly happened in 2013. USC came to own the house some time in the 80s (during Harriet's lifetime) and presumably got appraisals for tax purposes. They would have known, any time in that interval, how valuable the pieces are.
Craig

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not report because the objects weren't considered valuable?

Wow, why on earth is anyone working in preservation at a University if that's their knowledge of the objects under their care? Does USC routinely store worthless trash in locked warehouses from which anyone can remove whatever they wish?
DavidC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LAPD Seeks Public’s Help Solving Mystery of Missing Furniture From Hollywood Hills Home Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright

David
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The folding chair is new to me. I'll have to see if I can find a photo of it in situ. I see what may be a hinge on the triangular support at the rear, which is notched into the base runner.
Perhaps those flap supports are released by pulling them outward, allowing the back to swing down to a horizontal position ? There may also be small casters to the base . . .

Impractical and unattractive, it seems to me---but it's Schindler, no doubt, so valuable.

http://www.lapdonline.org/decorative_art_and_antiques/content_basic_view/65156

S
Craig

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tea cart is particularly clever. Each of those three stacking vertical shelves are hanging on a spinning frame, which when turned, allows them to align evenly on the horizontal and thus create one continuous surface. Schindler seemed to delight in such contrivances.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oho. That's pretty neat. I'd like to make one of those . . . just to see it operate !

S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: