Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Article: FLW documentary on KCET TV - Los Angeles, CA
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.kcet.org/shows/artbound/episodes/that-far-corner-frank-lloyd-wright-in-los-angeles

It's only a second, but at minute 4:48 the Larkin Administration Building appears in one of my renders. They contacted me to ask for my permission and of course I gave it to them.

We do not realize it, but every day we see many images that we think are photographs when they are actually made with a computer.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and that is more than a little disturbing.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is interviewed on "Fresh Air" (NPR) today.

https://www.nytimes.com/by/cade-metz

He warns that manufactured images now routinely fool the eye; this has implications for our ability to discern fake news from real -- among other things.

SDR
David

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick Grant wrote:
...and that is more than a little disturbing.

I agree, simply because with a computer it is easier to lie (in fact, at least in my experience, the tricky thing is to tell the truth) Although as SDR says in another thread, a photographer is never innocent either.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journalist Metz points out that, whereas at present still images can be faked, it won't be long before moving ones will, as well. And since we already have
effective image and facial recognition software, we can expect to have machines looking at machine-made realities -- either machine capable of
being hacked -- and suggesting or making life-altering decisions based on corrupted or imaginary evidence. The brave new world will perhaps require
a certain amount of bravery just to get out of bed in the morning ?

Naturally, cries of "Luddite" and "Get out of the road" are heard from promoters of these technologies -- is it now 12 companies, or 20, working
on self-driving vehicles ? -- while others are more cautious. Elon Musk (Tesla), Bill Gates and Stephen Hawking have each sounded a caution:

“AI is likely to be either the best or worst thing to happen to humanity.” ~Stephen Hawking

“The development of full artificial intelligence could spell the end of the human race.” ~Stephen Hawking.

“With artificial intelligence, we are summoning the demon.” ~Elon Musk

“What to do about mass unemployment? This is going to be a massive social challenge. There will be fewer and fewer jobs that a robot cannot do better [than a human]. These are not things that I wish will happen.
These are simply things that I think probably will happen.” ~Elon Musk

"Worth reading Superintelligence by Boston. We need to be super careful with AI. Potentially more dangerous than nukes.” ~Elon Musk

“Humans should be worried about the threat posed by artificial intelligence.” ~Bill Gates

“I am in the camp that is concerned about artificial intelligence. First the machines will do a lot of jobs for us and not be super intelligent. That should be positive if we manage it well. A few decades after that though the
intelligence is strong enough to be a concern. I agree with Elon Musk and some others on this and don’t understand why some people are not concerned.” ~Bill Gates

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with much of what Hawking, Musk and Gates say, but they are all Geeks, and as I have said before, Geeks are not nearly as bright as they think they are. I'll wait until half-Geek/half-H. Sapiens Neil deGrasse Tyson weighs in. Jeremiad is one thing, but it's a future that is coming, and there is no option but to deal with it. The first thing to do is wrest power from the Geeks.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawking "not bright" ? *cough*cough*snort*

[Must . . . defend . . . rational world. Must say . . . something . . . before Peter does . . .]

I got nothin'.

S
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" . . . I remembered a line by Brendan Gill, one of Wright's most perceptive biographers . . ."

Beware of a Wright treatment in which Gill is quoted, early in the piece ? It appears that Mr Hawthorne looked for, and found, a "hook" on which to hang his film. I doubt that he really has much love for, or understanding of, Wright's art.
The assumption that the architect was inspired by Mayan ruins (not design -- "ruins") is apparently a given, for a certain class of critics. That Wright might have been inspired (as Roderick notes, above) instead by the material he had
wrought for these projects, and built what might be called inevitable forms based on that material, seems not to have occurred to such people. One wonders what understanding they have of the creative process.

Still, it was good to see and hear some of the Wright authorities that we recognize from their scholarship and its resulting publication. The film-maker gives these people time to offer their views -- but he returns in the end to his pre-
selected theme.

The video ran this afternoon on one of the local PBS affiliates . . .

S
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it ever true, as Hawthorne states, that Wright considered settling in Southern California "for good" ? That's news to me . . .

I have to confess, the video does make a convincing argument for Wright's flirtation with the pre-Columbian.

S

Last edited by SDR on Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reidy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never checked the story out, but one source is supposed to be a letter to Darwin Martin saying that he planned to settle in LA for good.

Apparently he wanted to put home-building behind him and concentrate on big public/commercial jobs such as the mysterious Doheny Ranch project. The Chandlers, who published the LA Times, loved having him around but never sent any business his way. Daunted by his failure to break into the local establishment, he put Lloyd in charge of Freeman, Storer and Ennis and moved back to Wisconsin. His practice didn't recover for more than a decade.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The periodical "Holly Leaves" about life in Hollywood, had many notices of FLW attending this and that dinner party while ensconced in Residence B at Hollyhock. Unfortunately, the Hollywood branch of the public library, which had a complete collection of Holly Leaves was burned to the ground by an arson, and the entire collection went up in flames.

I suspect FLW got tired of the shallow culture of Hollywood, and left without much concern.
peterm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:
Hawking "not bright" ? *cough*cough*snort*

[Must . . . defend . . . rational world. Must say . . . something . . . before Peter does . . .]

I got nothin'.

S

There are moments where one is simply left speechless.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To follow mindlessly everything that a person of genius says, within and outside of his area of expertise, is foolish. Hawking was a genius when it came to all things in the field of physics, but in later years of celebrity, largely by way of "The Big Bang Theory," he ventured into territory that was not necessarily within his wheelhouse.

Frank Lloyd Wright was a verifiable genius, yet is occasionally disparaged on this site. Does that seem contradictory? As he said, "Once they have labeled you a genius, they are through with you."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: