What Wright thing haven't you done yet?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Reidy

Post by Reidy »

That photo raises questions: does the house have roof access? is the rooftop usable space?

SDR

Post by SDR »

This plan shows stairs "up to roof" -- so, yes.

I'm positive that I've never seen a photo or drawing showing people up there . . .

JChoate

Post by JChoate »

There is a little flight of stairs up on the Affleck roofscape. Do we know of any others?

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

Freeman has this feature. He designed such a modification to Storer in 1935, but the owners didn't go through with it. See Sweeney Wright in Hollywood p. 67.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Looking at Google maps, it seems like there is a stair to the roof.

SDR

Post by SDR »

In which house, Tim ?

S

Tim

Post by Tim »

Sorry, Sturges

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

The roof on Sturges has a wood slat covering over the waterproofing so the roof can be used. You can bet I made it up to the roof when I had the chance. I did not, however, get into the basement.

If Tim is referring to Storer, it definitely does not have access to the top roof. There are roof terraces over the bedroom and service wings, but not over the living room. That option was, thankfully, not taken.

Tim

Post by Tim »

Jealous!

I was reading online that both FLW and John L. made expansion plans. Are those published?

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

I don't know about the Lautner expansion, but Frank's has been published in Taschen #2, page 478. Lautner was in charge of overseeing construction in 1939 (which resulted in his moving to Hollywood permanently) and for the restoration done for Larson/Bridges.

SDR

Post by SDR »

ImageImage

Tim

Post by Tim »

That's very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

SDR

Post by SDR »

Nice drawing, too. The sky texture mitering to vertical is novel; the delicious outlines, colors, and textures characteristic of the studio's best drafters is on display here.

S

DRN

Post by DRN »

The unbuilt Sturges addition might be one of few additions Wright designed to his own work that did not spoil the original compositionally.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I agree. Fortuitously, the location of this projected addition is literally the only one open to the architect, to this house on this site ?

S