Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Sterling Kinney house - Amarillo, Texas
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juankbedoya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Sterling Kinney house - Amarillo, Texas Reply with quote

Could somebody shares us info, stories, floor plans, pictures, interiors of this unknown work please..? There are only a few pictures in flickr and that's it.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. To start, there are dozens and dozens of photos of the house in this flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kennethjackson/114008460/in/photostream/

[The flickr site is cranky today -- but the photos are there.]

The house, of which I for one was not aware, appears unique among Usonians for its battered brick walls. The photos reveal an interior of mahogany plywood with surface-mounted horizontal battens whose faces are angled downward a la Mathews el al.

S

Last edited by SDR on Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

images © 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation
juankbedoya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:
Good question. To start, there are dozens and dozens of photos of the house in this flickr album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/kennethjackson/114008460/in/photostream/

[The flickr site is cranky today -- but the photos are there.]

The house, of which I for one was not aware, appears unique among Usonians for its battered brick walls. The photos reveal an interior of mahogany plywood with surface-mounted horizontal battens whose faces are angled downward a la Mathews el al.

S

HEY.... THANK YOU SO MUCH.... THERE ARE A LOT OF PICTURES..!!! OMG..!!
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah -- I don't think I've ever seen so many photos of a single house, on flickr -- not more than one or two others, anyway . . .

Very interesting house. There's nothing on the plan drawing that would hint at the unusual construction of battered brick walls. Wright fanatics might insist that the structural vocabulary that's so evident in section (if we had section
drawings; late work is so plentiful in the final Monograph that there's no room for detail drawings that we see for the early Usonians) is somehow at one with, or implicit in, the plan, the roof form, the site, the client's astrological sign.
To me, what's revealed or reinforced is that the wall section (for instance) is completely independent of the plan, in many if not most of these houses -- perfectly naturally; Wright was free to combine and recombine favorite plan types
and layouts with any of his many invented ways of forming and assembling material.

S
juankbedoya

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMAZING... THANKS..!!!
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And thank you, for bringing this commission to our attention ! (Readers should be aware of another Kinney, Patrick, whose Usonian was built in Lancaster, Wisconsin, in 1951. And, there is an unbuilt house design for Darryl McKinney in Cloquet, Minn, in 1957.)

What was it that drew you to this structure ?

S
jay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 10 foot recessed entry.....!
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entry sequence from the carport is reminiscent of Lamberson -- houses where one encounters the "back door" (kitchen) first, and must be distracted if not diverted to the formal entrance.

At Lamberson a wall of near head height effectively sidelines the kitchen door; here, a pony wall somehow beckons the visitor on, to the (out-of-sight) entrance.

The lack of shelter along part of this route is perhaps atoned for by the deep covered "lobby" outside the door ?

S
juankbedoya

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:
And thank you, for bringing this commission to our attention ! (Readers should be aware of another Kinney, Patrick, whose Usonian was built in Lancaster, Wisconsin, in 1951. And, there is an unbuilt house design for Darryl McKinney in Cloquet, Minn, in 1957.)

What was it that drew you to this structure ?

S

Well actually there is more info about the Patrick Kinney House in Lancaster, even a video. There is available even its floor plan...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeuzQCE67aM

About unbuilts, there is also another scheme of the Sterling Kinney house much more beautiful...

Well, I'm more interested in lesser-known Wright's works as well as unbuilt designs. Yes we all love Fallingwater, Robie, Hollyhock, Taliesin East/West, Ennis, Rosembaum, Jacobs, etc etc. but I'm looking for hidden gems.

So, I'm gonna be posting topics of "the other works"

SDR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good; an excellent task to undertake. I see that you have access to the Taschen volumes -- or at least number III.

If I find supplemental or complementary material in the Monographs, I'll add that to the discussion if you like . . .

(I might suggest that you limit the dimension of images to c. 1500 p wide, so that they'll fit on most people's screens ?)

S
jay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, the unbuilt plan seems far superior than the design that was built, in my humble opinion....
The solar orientation appears more appropriate, and the entirety of the pergola and sunken-garden sequence,
with the dining area releasing diagonally into it, just seems absolutely wonderful.

(*edit: I didn't realize it was a screened porch off the dining area)
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unbuilt Kinney Project is one of those designs FLW tried, in various permutations, to get built, starting with Jacobs II (1943),
followed by Bloomfield (1950) for Tucson, AZ, and Kinney (1955). The AZ version seems the most appropriate location for desert masonry.

Last edited by Roderick Grant on Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juan, a very fine unbuilt project that might interest you is the Watkins Studio Project (1940) for the Jersey Shore, aptly named "Windswept," in Taschen 2, page 443
Unlike Jacobs/Bloomfield/Kinney, Watkins is one-of-a-kind, so perfectly appropriate for its sandy lot that it would seem unimaginable anywhere else.
juankbedoya

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR wrote:
Very good; an excellent task to undertake. I see that you have access to the Taschen volumes -- or at least number III.

If I find supplemental or complementary material in the Monographs, I'll add that to the discussion if you like . . .

(I might suggest that you limit the dimension of images to c. 1500 p wide, so that they'll fit on most people's screens ?)

S

Thanks a lot... any kind of material is welcome, that's the idea. Thanks for the advice
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: