Karl Kamrath Skyscraper Faces Demolition (Arch Record 1964)

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks for that, pgharchfan. The tower, which I've never seen pictured, clearly contains Wrightian references.

I went looking for other work by Kamrath, and found this house, the Gonzales residence, Houston, no date, published in Serraino and Shulman, "Modernism Rediscovered" (Taschen, 2000), pp 515-17. I think this house shows a
Wrightian influence -- more than the typical MCM house does, in any event ?

Julius Shulman (and Pierluigi Serraino) apparently thought it important to record the date of each photo in their book, but not necessarily anything of
the architecture displayed beyond the name of the architect and the location of the work. Before finding this house, I went through Shulman's
"Architecture and its Photography" because I thought I would find at least one project by McKie and Kamrath. I had to page through the whole book,
as I do every time I consult it, because Mr Shulman provided neither an index nor a list of the architects whose work his career depended upon . . .

S

Tom

Post by Tom »

Love the house.

pgharchfan

Post by pgharchfan »

Sadly the Gonzalez house was demolished last year. I think it was the only Kamrath work that Shulman photographed.

Maynard Parker photographed Kamrath's own house. It's still intact and is being restored after Hurricane Harvey. http://houstonmod.net/bldg_detail.asp?i ... %20Kamrath

(the site has an odd feature... click the B&W photos to see them in color)

Wright saw this building on his 1949 visit to Houston and deemed it "acceptable" :) http://houstonmod.net/bldg_detail.asp?i ... %20Kamrath

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, pgharchfan -- much appreciated !

S

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

That bottom photo was published by HB in one of the issues on FLW. Although Kamrath didn't apprentice at Taliesin, he got the gist of Wright's principles, as Alfred Browning Parker did.

JimM

Post by JimM »

Nice stuff.