Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

For sale: Jack Howe house - Burnsville, MN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidC

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: For sale: Jack Howe house - Burnsville, MN Reply with quote

15715 James Avenue S., Burnsville, MN, 55306 - [4:57]

David
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/15715-James-Ave-S-Burnsville-MN-55306/1615232_zpid/

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this the same lake where Howe's own house was located?

The site is idyllic, and only minutes south of Bloomington, the 3rd largest city in MN. There are lakeside places like this all over the state.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second priciest home currently for sale on Horseshoe Lake. https://lakeplace.com/forsale/lake/horseshoe/homes

Sankaku, Howe's residence in Burnsville on Horseshoe Lake, was built in 1972, one year earlier than this house.

S
jay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone else thrown off by the graininess of the indoor wood (oak)? I'm guessing it's the stain (or perhaps the photographs are enhanced which darkens the darks....?) Would Howe have specified that type of look?
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cabinet wood is rotary-cut oak or ash, stained to bring out the wild grain -- a most unusual choice. While the panels have been carefully matched
throughout, that's like saying that a barrage of hand-grenades has been professionally choreographed. Rotary-cut (one-piece-face) hardwood plywood
is a little less money that the more subtle book-matched material.

The windows in the main spaces have been treated as spaced supporting frames separated by frameless glazing -- a sophisticated detail. The doors
with decorative glass transoms are, on the other hand, disappointing; their conspicuously reduced height may be the result of a budgeting choice that
dictated the use of standard sliding and passage door products.

On the whole, this is not one of Howe's most outstanding residences, I have to say. Two others of his designs, the George Johnson house of the same
year, in Orono, MN, and the Norma Johnson house "Seagull" of a decade later, on Lake Superior, which share with this one the rotated-square living
room, are more successful accomplishments, I think.

But there's a generously-sized workshop in a separate structure -- so I'm all in !

S
jay

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tranquilly gardened entry sequence and house facade seem to suggest a very peaceful home. As does the site, of course... Maybe the new homeowners can tame some of the interior disorder? (And install a custom patio door with full height.) Just curious, without using paint, how might one deal with the wood without replacing it? Sand and re-stain or oil?
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making wood darker is easy; lightening it, not so much -- short of paint. Dark stain absorbed into the very open grain of oak and ash is a problem. Perhaps a
solution would be to do a ceruse refinishing, where paint of a lighter color is wiped onto the surface and allowed to dwell in the recesses of the grain, and
wiped or sanded off of the surrounding smooth grain, leaving a new color combination with much less color contrast. But that wild grain pattern is still present,
in any event.

S
JimM

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The perfectly compact first house he built for himself near Taliesin is still his best, IMO.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A plan and other images of Inwood, the little house, were seen here at one time. Who knows where they went ?

The Hession and Quigley book gives us five black-and-white images of Inwood, but no plan. The following project is the Royston cottage and guest house, shown in plan and four other images.
The Royston cottage is said to have been based on Inwood.

More photos of the property are here -- along with some initial misinformation:

http://www.furiousdreams.com/blog/?p=6882&cpage=1#comment-257013

The Royston cottage is apparently based on Inwood; the guest house is said to have been inspired by the Maginel Barney plan. Indeed it is like a doubled version of that plan, a 30-60 triangle flipped open along its hypotenuse.

S
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimM kindly supplies pages from the October 1959 (Wright memorial) issue of House Beautiful. Additional material, on Inwood and on the Royston commission, is from Hession and Quigley, "John H Howe, Architect."

Inwood, in and out, in photos by Maynard L Parker:

. . .

. . .

The compact bedroom is fully equipped; stone stair at right leads down to living/dining room:

. . .

Cottage, Guest house, and Gallery for the Roystons, at Exton, PA, a western suburb of Philadelphia:

Compare to Inwood:

Cottage; Guest house in foreground:

Compare to Inwood:

Guest house interior, in Honduran mahogany:

Maynard Parker photos © the Huntington Library, San Marino, CA

color photos © William Krebes; Royston material, first and third Inwood exteriors and bedroom photos © 2015 by the Regents of the University of Minnesota, from "John H Howe, Architect," Jane King Hession and Tim Quigley
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inwood was a marvel, one of the finest apprentice-designed houses of all. Unfortunately, as photos published when it was on the market about a decade ago show, it has been added onto and mauled almost beyond recognition.
Daniel Dominique Watts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject: Inwood plan vs. Royston Reply with quote

I have been in both. Yes the bedroom with descending steps to living room / fireplaceplace/ kitchen....especially that it is a "galley" kitchen is very evident when inside Royston, however scale is just a bit bigger in Royston. Bedroom & LR area much bigger in scale. The plan for bedroom to go down steps is flipped and so is bathroom. Just completely flip the plan. The dressing/mirror at far end of bedroom is exactly same and so are builtin closets. Really well worked out plan. Fireplace at angle in bedrm is dramatic. I actually prefer small bedroom at Inwood and the larger LR at /galley kitchen at Royston. The guest house similar in concept of separation from main home via connecting artery wall to "Summer house for writer" he did at Sandstone for fellow inmate Carlos Hudson. Royston one my favorite places to visit each year now for past 4 years when in Philly area. Its being faithfully restored outside, stone walkway/patios repaired & roof. Guest home has been modified however. A modern kitchen area added & original cabinets sadly removed. Art studio being changed with partition walls added as stud walls now i imagine for spare bedrooms. It also has the wooded area above it overlooking roof of house cleared from near site entry by stream. It appears a separate guest home like done at Fallingwater may be in the works. I hope sympathetically done. I also hope doesnt overpower main home design & covered back with greenery separation after it would be done to partially hide it. Its a great scale for 2 people or even with a teenager. I hope it wont be ruined. The work so far is meticulous to exactly recreate details on exterior overhang dentils, fascia, sill finish/color & exact stone to match being carefully used sparingly. As a preservationist Im glad it wasnt torn down 5 yrs ago or even now. New roof minus domes on new skylights over art studio however changed look a bit too much. Hope dome covers will be put back over top of new skylight square panels.
Daniel Dominique Watts

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:26 am    Post subject: Wood grain vs. Non grain Reply with quote

SDR said... PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote
Making wood darker is easy; lightening it, not so much -- short of paint. Dark stain absorbed into the very open grain of oak and ash is a problem. Perhaps a
solution would be to do a ceruse refinishing, where paint of a lighter color is wiped onto the surface and allowed to dwell in the recesses of the grain, and
wiped or sanded off of the surrounding smooth grain, leaving a new color combination with much less color contrast. But that wild grain pattern is still present,
in any event.

My success with pickled or bleached woods for minimal grain I have done for both Beech and Birch for skylight rod screens of 2 different wood finishes combined. For staircases and spindles, railings and even panels in storage areas. I would imagine would even work for even C grade common plywood panels if needed for less budget. I have done this technique since early 1990s and actually prefer it with satin finish over it next to highlighted pattern alternating in gloss or high gloss. Once i did almost flat clear finish poly next to gloss and it looked good also. Adds depth visually & makes some elements appear bigger or smaller as effect as needed.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The house for Carlos Hudson appears in the new Howe film by Robert Barros. Three views of the house are seen beginning at 17:48.

http://wrightchat.savewright.org/viewtopic.php?p=100908

S
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: