Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Arthur C. Mathews Residence
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only significant difference I see between Smith and Mathews is stone vs brick. Both are very handsome. Smith has a more expansive view over a golf course adjacent to the back lot line. Mathews' lot is quite small, and there is at least one McMansion looming ominously nearby with malicious portent.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick,
The way the hallway to the bedrooms was handled better in Mathews.

I've been in Smith and that hallway is not prime.

------------

BTW: According to John Geiger's apprentice list and another sources Alvin Badenhop 01/01/50 is the apprentice related to the current owner of Mathews.

The current owner purchased the house in 1970.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graphics and photos W A Storrer
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks SDR!
Jamesp

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My grandmother owns this home and I would be happy to relay any questions directly to her.

She’s passionate about FLW and has recently begun to show the home more than in the past.

I’d also love to learn more about the home from experts on this forum!
Healeyjet

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the offer Jamesp. I am sure many of the fine folks on this board will have some questions for you and I can't wait for the replies from your Grandmother.
As well if you can share any recent interior photos of the house or historic photos I know I would be thrilled.
If you need help posting photos I believe forum member SDR is a pro at assisting in that regard.

Ward
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That I will gladly do. I've spent a pleasant bit of time with your grandmother; it would be a pleasure to hear from her here, and from you as well. Thank you for visiting us !

Are there questions you have right off, or perhaps ones that arose after reading what's already been posted ?

SDR
jay

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jamesp—I'd also be very interested in seeing any interior photos of the Mathews house, particularly of the kitchen > dining > living room sequence. Quick shots with a smartphone are more than sufficient!

Question for your grandmother: The terrace/patio area of the Mathews house seems like a wonderfully articulated outdoor space, even for Wright. I'd love to hear her thoughts about this space—how she's used it over the years, how it observes sunlight through the day, etc.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James, on the Storrer plan, shown above, there is a solid line bisecting 4 units just above the word DINING, terminating at the table. What does that line indicate?
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can answer that: the line represents a vertical-slat screen, head-high, of which I am hoping to see photographic evidence. Wrightians have not seen photographs of the Mathews residence interior -- ever.

James, do you visit your grandmother ? Have you taken photographs of the house ? Interior photos would be useful; among other details that appear on the drawings and in the house are the unusual battens to the
horizontal-board interior partitions, a development of the original sunk batten on the Usonian Standard Detail sheet but with a with a canted face.

This molding is also used in the house as shelf edging -- and if I recall correctly is echoed in the canted vertical boards of the "fence" screen which separates the kitchen from the loggia passage to the main space . . .

The original dining table, which protruded from the brick wall between kitchen and fireplace, has been removed and is in storage directly overhead (If I correctly recall what your grandmother said) on the piece of "datum" --
the lowered ceiling plane often found in portions of Usonian interiors where relative intimacy is desired, such as at the dining table, here -- perhaps awaiting eventual reinstallation.

The drawing set for the house, a copy of which I believe is now in residence there, will show this and many other interesting details, including furniture designed for the house but never realized. Hanging and standing light
fixtures with red cloth shades (!), and a number of seating hassocks, are among those unbuilt items.

S
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, when you mention battens with a canted face, are they similar to those at the Hughes House, which has been published in Fine Homebuilding?
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have close-up photos of the Hughes walls. A photo of the Hughes "dormitory" bedroom on page 316 of Storrer's 1993 "Companion" shows what might be surface-mounted triangular battens similar to those found at
the Erdman prefabs. The Mathews battens are comparable to the sunk battens of the prototypical Usonian wall; they engage the grooved edges of horizontal boards, but their faces are asymmetrically canted and stand slightly
proud of the wall plane. I believe the broad face of the batten is tilted down; their identical orientation on the edges of built-in shelves produces the typical outward-canted shelf and light-deck fascia found in some post-war Usonians.

I have since identified this detail in at least one other Usonian of the period; I will have to try to retrieve that information.

The screen divider is composed, as I recall it, of broader and narrower "sticks" oriented vertically, spaced apart, and canted in plan. All of these non-orthogonal geometries presumably relate to the 30-60 planning grid of the house.

S
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A photo of a Hughes bedroom on page 157 of "FLW - MCM" shows narrow triangular horizontal battens, on boards narrower than those of the standard Usonian wall; these also appear on the ceiling of the Hughes residence.

Photos in the same book, of the Lowell Walter and Henry Neils houses, seem to show Mathews-style board-and-batten walls: Walter, p 125; Neils, p 163. The Neils photo gives a good close-up view of the batten profile . . .

All houses mentioned are from the 1948-1950 time period.

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hughes batten is somewhat more complex than usual. The lower board has a notch in the edge, 60/30/90. The upper board outer edge is beveled 30 degrees. The lower, square edge of the batten rests in the 90 degree notch of the lower board, and the face of the batten extends at a rise of 60 degrees beyond the face of the upper board, with a square return to the edge of the bevel. The batten faces downward, half sunk in the bottom board and half proud of the top board. Battens are nailed perpendicular to the face of the batten, and 30 degrees off the vertical.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could picture that.

Sprinkled throughout this Alan Weintraub photo taken at the Henry Neils house are examples of the Neils/Mathews canted batten. It appears on four walls, including as a base molding, and on the shelf unit at center, again with
the batten at the base.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: