Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

The Open Office brought to us by FLW

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: The Open Office brought to us by FLW Reply with quote

https://thenextweb.com/futureofwork/2018/10/22/open-floor-plans-bad-noise-pollution/
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As linked in the article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biophilia_hypothesis

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bad grammar aside, this article is intellectually slipshod. I don't know the specifics of "Biophilia," but when I see the language bent to the breaking point to sell an idea, I become suspicious. I don't believe the tendency of people "to seek connections with nature and other forms of life" has anything to do with the efficiency of the workforce. The kookaburra is an element of nature, but I wouldn't want to listen to one while trying to balance the general ledger. Nature is an escape from the workaday world, which, by way of incessant repetition, becomes intolerable.

There is certainly an argument to be made that the open office has deficiencies, in spite of the overwhelming success of Johnson Wax, where people apply for jobs just for the opportunity to work in that wonderful space, and probably as well, Saarinen's office for John Deere. Noise is certainly part of the problem, but adding positive noise to the natural noise of the office isn't the solution; that merely compounds the problem.

It's largely moot, however, since so much of the work done in those open offices will be taken over by bots in the near future. It is, after all, only the drones who are subjected to open offices; the executives have always remained in their private corner offices with views and hidden bars. The Fascist pigs!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: