Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Harold McCormick House

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meisolus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Harold McCormick House Reply with quote

In the entry for the McCormick House in the three volume Complete Works, Pfeiffer gives Wright's account of meeting with the McCormicks to show them the drawings. Though Mrs. McCormick rejected the design outright, apparently Wright let them keep the presentation drawings he created. Has anyone ever tried to track these down? I can't help but wonder if they're out there somewhere, in some grandchild's attic.

Does anyone know how many drawings are known? I've seen a few plans and perspectives, but not much else.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isn't much on record; I imagine you've found all of it. Here are the entries in Monograph 3 (1987) and in Taschen I (2009). There are a few more words about the nature of the project, in the Mono text.

The only illustration found in the Monograph. There's a smaller but more legible version of this sheet in "In the Nature of Materials."

Then the Taschen entry:

The remaining visuals, not here presented at their best -- though the color of the water-level perspective is interesting -- are seen below.

As indicated in the Taschen text, the Wasmuth Portfolio (and its many reprints) contain just three plates for the project: plan, aerial view and water-level view.

SDR
Meisolus

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was afraid that was it. Maybe I should try and track down the McCormick descendants and see if they know anything? If only I had the time...
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coonley on steroids. If this extravaganza had been built, it would likely have been demolished, left to molder or turned into a multi-family compound. Rich Americans who can afford such a place tend to think of themselves as akin to European aristocracy, and this house is not chateaux-esqe enough for them, as it wasn't right for Mrs. McCormick. (Wasn't she a Rockefeller?)
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A website with a history of the house the Harold McCormick's actually built:
http://www.villaturicum.com/
SREcklund

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Dan's Villa Turicum link above ...

Quote:
“Mrs. McC inclines to being partial to Italian style."

Pretty much says it all. Her final residential choice could be the prototype for today's McMansions ...

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
Tom

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the rooms of those two large pavilions with fireplaces on the lake side would have been pretty cool.

If memory serves, Edith and Harold got involved with Carl Jung and his method of psychology and moved to Geneva.
I think Edith became a Jungian therapist after they divorced.
She may have given a large part of her fortune to Jung - not sure about these details.
tulikajain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice posting
Matt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this ever go to working drawings? When I was studying Wright in depth, I was surprised at how many projects wen to full construction docs, but didn't ultimately get built. No doubt this was due to the surprise estimates from builders based on these drawings.

The mid-century architect I'm now studying never seemed to do final drawings unless the project was a go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: