Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Looking for research material for Prefab era 1906-1916?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DzdanielO

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Looking for research material for Prefab era 1906-1916? Reply with quote

Hello everyone-

I am looking for material covering the specific design period from 1906-1916 encompassing designs such as: "A Fireproof House for $5000", American System-Built Homes, and Arthur L. Richards Duplex Apartments etc...

Does anyone know of any material on this period?

I write a small blog on Facebook called "Life and Architecture" and am doing a piece on the partnerships that Wright made with investors to get these wonderful projects realized.

Also the specifics of his work with the Luxfer Prism Company. Books or older articles would be awesome, or any anecdotal info... Smile

Thanks in advance for your time.

Cheers!
Matt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a book written on the system built home project. I think it had a very small print run, so not widely circulated.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, DanielO, Wright is such a broad and a deep study, that references to different periods or aspects of the career can be very widespread, and, for
certain periods like the one you're investigating, rather sparse.

Aside from whatever personal contact we might have had with Wright's work in the flesh, most of us have acquired an understanding of Mr Wright and his
work through a number of standard and in some cases hard-to-find publications -- mainly books, and the pictures in them. No individual understanding is
exactly like any other, dependent more than anything (I would suggest) on the works and the sources each explorer has been exposed to, and at what
stage and in which order these sources and that work were encountered.

But with any question in Wright a sound and even logical place to start would be from "the horse's mouth," the architect's own record of his life and work
(and who could doubt its every word ?), the "Autobiography" and in particular the second and fuller edition, of 1943.

While the book probably resides in every city library in the country -- and if not, it should -- Wright provided no index to his own tome, so one must rely
on exterior references to the book. An index has in fact been compiled; I have not yet acquired my copy. But I can report that a cursory review of the
Autobiography does not reveal any discussion of the work for Arthur L Richards and the ASBH -- for instance.

Wright's relations with his clients are sometimes revealed in the stories of individual building commissions, though there is only one of these for every
score or more of projects, with the bulk of those written after the War and about work of the second half -- or final third -- of the career. Letters between
Wright and his clients have been collected and published, and there are also three or four reminiscences by Wright's apprentices of their times with him
and with the work.

Finally, there are publicly available illustrated catalogs of Wright's work. The three most prominent of these are the publications of William Allin Storrer,
in particular the "FLW Companion" of 1993 and later; a set of Monographs from the mid-eighties, a Japanese production edited by the Taliesin archivist
Bruce Brooks Pfeiffer; and, most recently, a set of three "complete catalogs" of Wrights work by the German publisher Taschen, again with text by
Pfeiffer assisted by Peter Goessel. This trio of oversized volumes appeared in 2009, and for the major works at least, contain generous text and illustration.

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps the book that Matt recalls: https://www.amazon.com/Frank-Lloyd-Wright-American-Milwaukee/dp/0960607218

There's this, from a reliable source:

http://wrightinmilwaukee.com/Learning

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Monograph 4, on page 92, we find this text accompanying the entry for the American System-Built Houses project. There's a reference to
previously published material in the second-to-last paragraph; it appears to be the poorly-described book found in the above Amazon link.

© 1985 A.D.A EDITA Tokyo Co., Ltd. and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-O, what you need is "Frank Lloyd Wright, an Annotated Bibliography" by Robert L. Sweeney. It was published in 1978, so does not venture beyond that, but up to that date, it is remarkably inclusive. Unfortunately, references to the prefabs is scant. The book SDR posted, "FLW: American System Built Homes in Milwaukee," is the best source. The text is informative, but the photography is rough at best.
Randolph C. Henning

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The August 2015 issue (Volume 3, Number 2) of the Journal of Organic Architecture + Design, published by the OAD Archives, is focused entirely on the American System-Built Houses.
DzdanielO

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Looking for research material for Prefab era 1906-1916? Reply with quote

I cannot put into words my gratitude for the amazing people on this board.

I feel so much at home here, and I thank each and every member and moderator for curating and maintaining such an amazing resource as Wright Chat!

So, thank you, thank you, thank you so much for throwing some great leads that I will absolutely use toward my little blog entry Smile

Love you guys!

Very Happy
Meisolus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi DzdanielO,

Julie L. Sloan, in her incredible book Light Screens: The Complete Leaded-Glass Windows of Frank Lloyd Wright, has a four page appendix that deals with Wright and his relationship with the American Luxfer Prism Company. It includes a brief history of Luxfer, Wright's relationship with them, and some information on the patents.

If you PM me, I could provide you with more. Best of luck!
DzdanielO

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Looking for research material for Prefab era 1906-1916? Reply with quote

I just finished reviewing all of the references provided. I bought the Light Screens book (As I already own a copy of his Autobiography) and am strongly considering buying the 2015 article, that looks amazing as well!

Wondering if anyone has any ideas for obtaining even an ebook version of:

https://www.amazon.com/Frank-Lloyd-Wright-American-Milwaukee/dp/0960607218 as the starting price is $125, and new is $3000!

I mean not that pretty much any book on Wright has the potential to be worth that and much more to me, but it would be cool to not have to pay 3 times my mortgage for the book. lol.
Meisolus

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially since the original list price was $14.95.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://urbanmilwaukee.com/2018/10/26/house-confidential-frank-lloyd-wright-house-b/
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a remarkable addition, Paul. Whoever put that together deserves an award for effective journalism/messaging, and presentation. Bravo . . .

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The care taken on this humble design is extraordinary. I especially like the way the foundation and basement windows form a subtle pattern, rather than just windows poking out of the basement wall. I could comfortably move into this cottage!
DavidC

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

House B really is a fantastic design. And, the restoration of it is equally wonderful. Hats off to Mike Lilek - along with all of those involved in the saving and restoration of this gem, as well as the other ASBH's on the block!

David
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: