Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Prairie-style home in Wichita, KS for sale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Prairie-style home in Wichita, KS for sale Reply with quote

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/15/realestate/700000-homes-in-kansas-florida-and-texas.html

Wichita, Kan. | $685,000

A 1922 house with three bedrooms and three and a half bathrooms

Designed by Don Buel Schuyler, an apprentice of Frank Lloyd Wright, this house has many features — harvest colors, decorative glazing, built-in furniture — typical of the older architect’s Prairie style. It is in the College Hill neighborhood, two blocks from Wright’s Allen House, which Mr. Schuyler also worked on, and less than 10 minutes from downtown.

Nice house, but Schuyler was obviously not an apprentice based on the year of the house. Has anyone ever heard of him? I checked John Geiger's list of apprentices and associates and did not find him.
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.bhamwiki.com/w/Don_Buel_Schuyler

http://lookingback.blogs.tuscaloosanews.com/11728/looking-back-don-buel-schuyler/

https://museums.ua.edu/event/exhibit-the-modernization-of-tuscaloosas-built-environment-the-architecture-of-don-buel-schuyler-1937-1964-57/

https://livingnewdeal.org/projects/queen-city-pool-house-tuscaloosa-al/
DRN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the word "apprentice" is at issue...prior to 1932, people working in Wright's studio were "employees", not always consistently paid, but they were paid nonetheless. It would seem Mr. Schuyler was one these people. Richard Neutra, R.M.Schindler, Henry Klumb, Antonin Raymond, Taylor Woolley, and others fall into this category of studio staff.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRN,
Which of John Geiger's lists did you find his name?
Michael Shuck

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not been in it but have driven by it many times. It's beautiful. I think it looks as if Lloyd Wright might have had his hand in its design, but pretty sure not. During Christmas it is beautifully lit.
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven’t had the opportunity to dive in, but a citation at a respected university about the content of one of its archival collections lends some credibility over and above a realtor listing:
http://content.lib.auburn.edu/cdm/ref/collection/testfa/id/1621

The word “apprenticeship” is there as well. Not sure if Schuyler was an apprentice if he was paid or if indeed he was paid. I suppose the correspondence or business papers at the Wright archive would be the final arbiter.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRN,
Your site says that he received his architecture degree (presumably undergraduate at age 21) in 1916. Since it is generally accepted that Wright did not start his apprentice program until 1932, he would have been 37 at that time (a bit old to start an apprenticeship since he already has a degree). What did he do with his architecture degree in the intervening 16 years?

Employee, maybe. Apprentice, no.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever his relationship with FLW was, he produced a handsome house that was more 'informed' by FLW than 'copied.'
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul.
I believe you are missing the point of my earlier message...I don't believe Mr. Schuyler was at Taliesin in the period 1932-1959. I believe he was at Taliesin much earlier, closer to 1916. Wright, prior to 1932, paid those who worked for him, not consistently, but they were paid. I believe Mr. Schuyler was likely a paid employee, much as Taylor Woolley and others were pre-1932. I believe he called himself, or was called by others an "apprentice" during this phase of his career.
The word "apprentice" may be confusing the issue....there are those who call a graduate architect's work with a licensed practitioner prior to the graduate's licensure "an apprenticeship" despite the graduate architect being paid as an employee. Most states, even in the early 20th century, required graduates to work for some period with a licensed practitioner prior to licensure examination. The term used today is "intern", but I have still heard the term "apprentice" used by older practitioners.
We Chatters and Wright used the term "Apprentice" for those who paid Wright to work with him in the period 1932-1959. We even call Wes, Jack, Gene, Davy, and other "Seniors", "Apprentices" even though they all likely stopped paying to work at Taliesin by the end of WW2, and their duties were more akin to professional staff or associates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: