Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

fake Shingle Style Atrocity: An architectural criticism
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrightasrain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoy reading about Wright at this Wright-related chat site and appreciate all the others' many contributions to that topic.

I, like many others I suspect, am here to mostly learn from others and don't feel I have much to contribute to the usually erudite discussion about Wright.

I only feel compelled to chime-in when the discussions go off the rails and turn into political diatribes that are completely off topic and spin into a partisan echo chamber that no one really benefits or learns from.

Can we leave the politics for the other myriad types of sites dedicated to that subject and get back to Wright?
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WAR, you are absolutely correct. Come to this site as often as you like, and if you don't feel able to contribute, don't feel compelled to.

I hesitate to further rumble the current political squawking, but I have observed some behavioral parallels between our beloved FLW and Trump, so perhaps that could form the basis for continued hyperventilation?
outside in

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how strange that you support giving up the political comments, and then drop a bomb to start it up again. Let it go Roderick
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I do, throw bombs.
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wright related? OK.

Wright client Herbert Jacobs found the need to fact check claimed attendance at outdoor public gatherings and devised a method that is apparently still used by fact checkers today, or in the days following January 20, 2017:

Source: "Body Language" by Julius Fast. MJF Books, New York, 1970. page 52
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRN, there's another aspect to the numbers game: There are 320,000,000 people (give or take) in this country. While an event that attracts, say, 320,000 (give or take) would make any organizer giddy, it is only 1/1000 of the total population, impressive only to the impressionable. Yes, Trump likes to brag that he is the Biggest, Best, Highest, Grandest, Smartest, etc. ad nauseam. It feeds his insatiable ego. He is the most relentlessly optimistic president since Ronald Reagan. But it also served his purpose to get the media to focus on a meaningless story and keep them off his back for awhile, endlessly repeating the FACT that Trump's crowds were smaller than Obama's, though never mentioning how meaningless the FACTS were, which is an example of how the TRUTH can be distorted to create a false impression.
pmahoney

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: political postings Reply with quote

Just a heads up, we intend to modify the notice on this site to limit postings that are primarily political in nature. I would prefer less of these postings to referee.

PJM
peterm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoever is repeatedly careless with the truth in small matters cannot be trusted with important matters.

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.” Joseph Goebells

(I’m apologize for one last political(?) idea, Pat :- ) I’m out, and rest my case.
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's perfectly reasonable, Pat, and perhaps overdue. While no one here (or anywhere on the Web) is required to look at material they don't find interesting,
learning that some are actually offended at the presence of off-topic discussion should lead us to prevent its appearance on the site, once and for all.

Those few here who do take an interest in political discussion -- among friends, as opposed to strangers -- might wish to continue our communication
elsewhere. I entertain the possibility of an ongoing e-mail discussion, an informal forum for the purpose, initiated by this reader or some other.

I am open to discussion of that possibility. My e-mail address is linked below, or talk could begin on the private-messaging function of this site -- for starters ?

I happen to believe that unsettling, even dangerous times for our nation call for more communication between citizens, not less . . .

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also concur. There's too much of it in too many venues already. Let's let it die for good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: