Buehler House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Paul Ringstrom

Buehler House

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

Among other things, the owner's self-promoting plaque is a bit much, and I very much doubt that the AIA has declared the Buehler house the "most beautiful home in the world." I mean, really . . .

SDR

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

When the Conservancy's conference was in SF a couple of years back, this house was on the tour, but we were told it would be external only. Upon arrival, we were told that, through the incredible generosity of the owner, we could go inside. Those of us in the know understood it was nothing more than a sales pitch for the wedding biz ...
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

John

Buehler House

Post by John »

Just as we cannot determine who will have children, we cannot determine who will own a Wright house, for better or worse.

Thank you to all who are true "stewards!"

SDR

Post by SDR »

Right. Any owner who saves, maintains, and perhaps repairs or restores a Wright house should be congratulated and thanked.

I suppose there may have been other examples of this particular problem; we are wondering what will become of the recently-restored David Wright house,
now that the owners have apparently abandoned plans for extensive public and/or private use of the property as a venue.

SDR

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

The champion in this regard is Gus Brown, who made enemies for a generation at Ennis, with both tours and parties.

Doing your homework and getting buy-in from the neighbors is not all that difficult. The Oak Park Home & Studio and the Getty in LA are examples of doing it right. (Some on Oak Park are resentful, but, unless they were there before 1974, they don't get much sympathy.)

Meyer May got its tour program going before the neighborhood gentrified, so it never had to face such issues.

DRN

Post by DRN »

I had not heard of the "International Association of Architects and Designers" until I saw the plaque at the Buehler house wall...it would appear it is the creation of Mr. Shmavonian:

http://www.mostbeautifulhomeintheworld.com/home.html

If one clicks on the "About Us" tab, the page that comes up has text that appears to be for lack of better terminology, "fake"...."World Architectural Museum and Gift Shop"?!

The American Institute of Architects has no connection to a "Most Beautiful Home in the World" designation that I am aware of.

The bust is a good likeness of Wright, but a bit over the top.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks for that research, Dan.

I wish I could agree that the cast bust is a good likeness. Maybe a hat would have helped ?

ImageImageImage

(This one is flipped left-right)ImageImage

DRN

Post by DRN »

With the image enlarged, the likeness diminishes...with a white, red, and blue leather jacket and some stars the bust could just as well be Evel Knievel.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I'm not sure I've seen Wright depicted convincingly in three dimensions; surely (for me) the bad likenesses outnumber the good. Minimizing the unique
characteristics of a face, perhaps in an effort to improve the person's appearance, is not the route to a recognizable image.

Wright's face has those strong (and asymmetrical) vertical characer lines, lips that are thin at the extremities, and the downward-sloping left eyelid. Strengthening
these, rather than reducing them, would have been the way to go, it seems to me.

The sculptor got the long upper lip, in any event. Mr Wright would have looked ridiculous with a mustache, I think . . .

SDR

DRN

Post by DRN »

Heloise Crista's bust of Wright...there may be more than one...captured his likeness well, or at least an impression of it.

https://franklloydwright.org/heloise-cr ... s-away-92/

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

SDR wrote:Thanks for that research, Dan.

I wish I could agree that the cast bust is a good likeness. Maybe a hat would have helped ?
Have we in fact determined that it's supposed to be a bust of Wright? All things considered, it just might be Shmavonian ... :D
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

If it is, it's a very poor likeness. I'd also rule out both Buehlers.

Rood

Post by Rood »

DRN wrote:Heloise Crista's bust of Wright...there may be more than one...captured his likeness well, or at least an impression of it.

https://franklloydwright.org/heloise-cr ... s-away-92/
Heloise had at least one copy made of her FLLW bust, and it can be found on display in Tempe, AZ, in the lobby of ASU's Grady Gammage Memorial Auditorium, alongside a bust of Grady Gammage.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Heh-heh. Mr Shmavonian can be seen here:
http://www.lamorindaweekly.com/archive/ ... phony.html

Here's Grady Gammage. http://library.nau.edu/speccoll/exhibit ... mmage.html

"In 1933, Gammage resigned the presidency in Flagstaff to become the president at Tempe, a post he held until his death in December 1959."

SDR