Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Marshalltown, IA Tornado
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos. I hope I can visit this house someday. Love the crisp brickwork with flush vertical mortar. And how the soldier course below the windows is mirrored with dentils on the fascia.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, JMD -- I appreciate that clarification. Matt, the projecting sill course gives the final bit of articulation to the forms, doesn't it. The projection doesn't appear on the elevation drawings . . .

Here are the Taliesin plan and elevation drawings of the built design. A first iteration was rendered as a Usonian Automatic, with a virtually identical layout.

© 1988 A.D.A EDITA Tokyo Co., Ltd. and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation
Matt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the drawings. I look forward to studying them. You're spot on about that extended soldier course that gives a shadowline. The whole composition reads as very simple volumes from a distance, beautifully arranged, then as you get closer you pick out these finer levels of detail.

So these masonry walls are actual masonry...that's how they did it back then? There is no rebar reinforcement? Just brick atop brick? Code probably wouldn't allow that now?
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dining room addition and the diagonal garage addition are by Howe.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Storrer credits Howe with the family room and dining room additions; he says of the garage -- and "a smaller building on the same property, mimicking the main house" -- only that they are "not by Wright."

He also says that Howe and John Rattenbury completed the working drawings, which apparently happened after Wright's death.

SDR
JMD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The garage was designed by Bob Sunday for the second owners who demanded one. He did not want to do it but was afraid that if another architect did design it, it would not be sympathetic to the house. He angled it so it would not be mistaken as part of the original design. The three windows from the tool room were used in the new walls.
Howe designed the family room and dining room and the hanging light fixture in the living room which did have an additional door on the northeast side to enlarge the living room. The drawings are signed by Wes Peters but Rattenbury and Howe did assist with the rescaling of the brick design from the Usonian Automatic.
The other building on the property may be the garage or the shed which does mimic the design of the house and has been rebuilt since the original was rotted out.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The living room is very nice, though when I saw it, there was a lot of clutter. This room doesn't need anything at all in it to look good. The dining room addition works well, but the family room is dull compared to the rest of the house.

The house was on the market at the time, and if I had been better situated, I would have bought it. I believe somewhere around $200K or so.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to be accessible to a car without extensive excavating for a driveway, the garage addition would have had to be angled as we see it -- or placed at
right angles to the existing carport wing -- it seems.

Mimicking the existing detailing (roof fascia, etc) was the right thing to do, despite the desirability of distinguishing post-Wright additions from the original
construction. The inherent conundrum would have to be addressed in the literature rather than on the ground -- or perhaps with discreet signage ?

A dashed line of bricks embedded in the (new) driveway would be one subtle solution . . .

SDR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: