Marshalltown, IA Tornado

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Michael Shuck

Marshalltown, IA Tornado

Post by Michael Shuck »

The Robert H. Sunday house is in Marshalltown, IA

Michael Shuck

Marshalltown Iowa Tornado July 19, 2018

Post by Michael Shuck »

I don't know if the Robert H. Sunday house was involved or damaged in the tornado. It's rather protected and sits down into the surrounding area. We'll hope this beautiful structure was spared.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Great photos, anyway, Mike. We haven't been treated to descriptive photos of the house of this quality, til now. Thanks ! Any more ?

Let's hope all is well. Keep us informed, please . . .

SDR

Michael Shuck

Post by Michael Shuck »

I do have more photos. I'll get them posted here soon as I can.

Michael Shuck

More photos...

Post by Michael Shuck »

I'll keep folks posted as I learn more about today's Marshalltown IA tornado.

ImageSunday House 3 by FLW Marshalltown IA July 3 2016 Michael Shuck 2016 by Mike Shuck, on Flickr[/img]

ImageSunday House 4 Outbuilding by FLW Marshalltown IA 7_3_2016 Michael Shuck 2018 by Mike Shuck, on Flickr[/img]

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

There was also a tornado that struck a heavy equipment factory just outside Pella, IA, which is the first town west of Oskaloosa - home of Alsop House and our own peterm's Lamberson House. Stormy day ...
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

Michael Shuck

Post by Michael Shuck »

ImageSunday House 7 by FLW Marshalltown IA 7_3_2016 Michael Shuck 2018 by Mike Shuck, on Flickr[/img] Look at the way the sunlight subtly comes down through the trellis to the perforated window boards... to the left of the gate mailbox plantar area and far into the distance.

ImageSunday House 8 by FLW Marshalltown IA 7_3_2016 Michael Shuck 2018 by Mike Shuck, on Flickr[/img]

Michael Shuck

Post by Michael Shuck »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Thanks, Mike. Crisp and well-exposed photos of a crisp brick-and-wood Usonian. Wikipedia displays a photo which shows a Wright light-pole rising
from the mailbox structure. Perhaps a storm has already come through the neighborhood ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_H._Sunday_House

For decades I knew the house only from this photo (where was it published ?), which I now learn shows Howe's dining room addition. Even here the
proportions, and the crisp brickwork and trim, are evident. This extension appears at far left in one of of Mike's photos.

The wing projecting toward the street is a family room by Howe (1969-70). Storrer implies that Howe corrected "problems with lack of overhangs on one
side" at the same time. I wonder what and where those were; was an existing roof extended ?

SDR
Last edited by SDR on Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

peterm

Post by peterm »

We were pounded with rain, hail, howling winds and thunder which lasted for 30 minutes, but Lamberson and Alsop are ok.
Only 15 miles away in Pella (headquarters for Pella windows) this was the devastation:

https://youtu.be/dOUaECs684U

https://youtu.be/ukGG8xQ3Dt0

https://www.facebook.com/828074521/post ... 772664522/

https://youtu.be/Taj6xA4P2gc
Last edited by peterm on Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Is the second video a school, or maybe Pella ?

S

SDR

Post by SDR »

Oh, it must be the Vermeer company, maker of farming and other equipment.

Wow. So glad Peter's house wasn't hit by this tornado.

SDR

JMD

Post by JMD »

The Sunday house is on the south side of town and the neighborhood was spared. All is well.
The light fixture has been repaired twice. Once when the house was purchased as it did not work at all and was missing the rear fixture and several years ago when the oak tree fell on it. It is fine also.
Bob Sunday tried to correct the statement about the overhang involved in the Howe addition. He said there was never a problem.
I hope this helps clear up a few things.