Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Spaulding Print Room
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Meisolus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, your compliments warmed my heart - thank you. Your words truly mean a lot.

David will definitely be putting in a curtain for the closet by the stairs. Also curtains to the bathroom area (which is just an empty room) and to at least partially cover the first floor entrance to the space. Wright calls for curtains going into the print room proper as well. He may put in some that are pushed to the side, but I'll leave that up to him.

David is also going to be putting in the furniture, which will consist of the pieces he's already posted. The Dana-Thomas table will go on the mezzanine and he is going to create the big easel for the main print space. Hopefully he can put some cherry blossoms in the vases over the doors and also some choice antiques. I would particularly like to see a standing Buddha on the staircase radiator cover, but I don't know what David has in mind.

I'll post the more "architectural" version when it's finished.

Last edited by Meisolus on Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent!

If I were to niggle, I would question the underside of the 'lids' over the entrances to the gallery. I think they may have been intended to be plastered with wood trim at the edges, rather than all wood. As you show at 0:45, the plaster wall of the ante room (and the fireplace room at 1:30), crosses the doorway, and then wood is used for the underside of the lids. At 2:10, the posts (of what material?) go right through a wood slab. I think he would not have done that. The walls at these points also are plaster through the doorway, but stop abruptly at the sloping display walls, which I think also ought to be plaster. It shouldn't be difficult to do "either-or" versions.

I agree that there are no solid metal shades in FLW's work. In the 1898 Studio, he did use off-the-shelf, conical glass shades, but the hue of the glass was very deep which probably did not allow much light to shine through. What you have shown is fine ... although they might put an eye out in passing for anyone over 5'8".
Meisolus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roderick, I'm glad you like it! I have to admit I hadn't considered making the "lids" over the doors anything other than wood, but I do see your point. I've gone back and forth whether the sloped walls should be plaster or wood. There really is no indication one way or another in any of the drawings. Personally, I like the wood. It really sets off the prints and makes the central room stand out from the rest. I'm also not sure how you would support plaster walls over the drawers, but I'm sure it's possible. Perhaps David can play around with it a bit when he gets to it.

As for the lamps, yes there would be a number of poked eyes. And foreheads, shoulders, and heads. Maybe we can have a table with a weed holder under at least one of them?
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cringe a little at the prospect of "choice antiques" and indeed almost anything not shown in Wright's drawings. I know it's fun for the
modeler to make stuff -- but we want to keep Wright's aesthetic in mind, and (in any event) not put too many "words" in his mouth ?

But you mentioned two versions of the model, so perhaps we can have our cake and eat it too . . .!

SDR
Meisolus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, don't worry. I've been looking at Julia Meech's book on Wright in Japan and he collected a lot of pieces. I'm not looking to do anything radical and I don't think David is either. But a few vases strategically placed would look excellent, as would a nice swath of antique textile draped across a table. If we can do a nice Buddha great, but if it looks bad we won't.

I'm also hoping to do a good model of the famous weed holder if I can.

Other than the statue, nothing I've mentioned isn't already on the elevations and perspective for the room. It won't look like an antique shop; I haven't put in this much work to mess it up at the end!
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course not. Thanks for all you do . . .

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meisolus, you might consider FLW's designs for Teco Pottery as accents.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Business flourish today selling Teco wares based on their tenuous connection to Wright. If one were to display Teco in a Wright interior, might it be too much to suggest that only Wright-designed pieces be included ?

SDR
Meisolus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I can promise a weed holder. Depending on how ambitious I am and how hard it is, I'd like to try a copper urn like at Browne's Bookstore and elsewhere.

I like the Teco pottery, but I'd have to do some research to find the Wright pieces. We may just stick to Asian vases as they wouldn't be incorrect.
Meisolus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all, I just wanted to let you all know that David is hard at work doing the renderings of the space. I've seen a preliminary one and it's really magnificent. You'll all be pleased with the end result, I'm sure.

We are still working out many of the finer details and I wanted some input on what kind of wood we should be using for the room. Oak? Mahogany? Something else? What was Wright using around this time (1914-1919)? Or is it up to us? Having the room with a lighter oak makes a beautiful light filled space. But having a darker one is more dramatic. They are both excellent. Any thoughts?

Thanks everyone!
SDR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Wright -- at all -- but these two Teco pieces caught my eye on a recent Antiques Roadshow.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/roadshow/season/4/tampa-fl/appraisals/2-vases--199901T06/

Mr Wright might have enjoyed (relatively) naturalistic depiction of nature in the Japanese print, but he would never have designed an object himself that didn't abstract and stylize nature.

As there is plenty of light-colored plaster in the room(s), I think that dark oak would be the thing. But there are other period-specific Wright options, I'm sure.

For the purposes of the model, wood grain need not be depicted, as I see it -- unless you're thinking of publishing close-up stills ? If the grain is shown then
every stick must have its grain running length-wise, not across, every piece. Nothing is more disappointing (to me) that to see grain applied willy-nilly, like wallpaper,
disrespecting its realistic orientation.

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oak might not be the wood of choice by 1914-1919, but a dark hue was still used by FLW in such interiors as Bogk and Bach. If the inclined planes are to be wood (and I still have qualms about that), the white matting of the prints would make a desirable contrast to a dark, as opposed to a light, stain.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stumbled on something for the fan of Japanese graphic art:

https://mymodernmet.com/japanese-art-wave-illustrations-internet-archive/

Who was this guy -- the Aubrey Beardsley of the Far East ?

And, while we're in the sea, behold the nest of the puffer fish, constructed by a single male to attract a female, for an oh-so-brief mating. The design is a perfectly sculpted sand disc, six feet in diameter; the fish is about six inches long . . .

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=puffer+fish+nest+image&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

SDR
Meisolus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All those Japanese waves are fantastic. Endless variety yet with simplicity.

It reminds me of a quote by Diana Vreeland: "God was fair to the Japanese. He gave them no oil, no diamonds, no gold – nothing! But he gave them a sense of style."

There are few nations on earth that could beat the Japanese for inherent style.
Meisolus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know David and I haven't posted for quite some time on the print room, but we are still working on it. I think we actually may have worked out all the kinks. Until it's ready to present, here are copies of Wright's weed holders that I made, along with an image of the original. I got the dimensions off of an auction catalogue, so they should be quite accurate. Some of the finer details, like the curve of the lip with the tiny sphere were a real nightmare. Enjoy!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: