Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Acorn House for Sale | Spring Green | Stephen Nemtin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Craig

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Acorn House for Sale | Spring Green | Stephen Nemtin Reply with quote

http://franklloydwrightsites.com/forsale.html

Not a great deal of information. It's unclear why a house built in 2003 would already need work and have to be moved from its site.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The land is NOT for sale; buyer would have to move the house to their own lot." Does that answer the question ? So, the present owner
bought the house for the land. "Needs work" has been shown to be a phrase used by those wishing to diminish the value of historic property . . .

SDR
Craig

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, that is what I was asking. Why build a house in 2003 only to want it moved off the land 15 years later? It seems hard to believe land in Spring Green would be that much in demand or not readily available otherwise.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry; I'm assuming that the present owner is new to the property and wants to build on it; he bought it for that purpose and has no interest in the house. In this scenario it isn't TAA's client who is selling the property.

If this is the case, it means the original owner moved on after owning the property for less than fifteen years. While odd, this isn't unheard of; several of Wright's clients did likewise.

SDR
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

photos:
https://www.instagram.com/acornhouse_/?hl=en
SpringGreen

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The present owner loves the land.

TAA's client is selling the building, not the property. The original owner is now in another building on the piece of land. If you want to know the reason I'll tell you off this page. Oh, I should make it clear that the "present owner", the "TAA client" & the "original owner" are all the same person.
"The building as architecture is born out of the heart of man, permanent consort to the ground, comrade to the trees, true reflection of man in the realm of his own spirit." FLLW, "Two Lectures in Architecture: in the Realm of Ideas".
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting house in a Goffian sort of vein; a floor plan would help "sell it". The vertical surfaces on the central roof are crying out for clerestories to lend some sky views above the living room sliders. The three elements perched on a triangular masonry base bring to mind Wright's Svetlana Peters memorial fountain and the Huntingdon Hartford opus it inspired.

This looks difficult to move....the pods might be able to be relocated to a new base, and the central interior fittings and finishes disassembled, but.....
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to learn what the pods are made of, and how. Compound curves (i.e., spherical segments) are the trickiest to accomplish with wood, naturally, but these appear to be simple bent planes, seamlessly connected ?

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The exterior wall surfaces (in red) and soffits (in cream) appear to be finished with stucco, presumably an elastomeric top coat to minimize the likelihood of cracking, The roof appears to be a sheet membrane roof, probably a TPO with integral coloring.

From the Facebook pictures, I gather the "acorn" pods are framed with bent steel columns at their corners, tied together with steel rods just below the roof line and the infill between the columns is likely wood, possibly built-up plywood ribs surfaced with thin veneer plywood inside and maybe a wet formed plywood sheathing outside....my best guess.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Acorn-House-for-Sale-1728910113836151/photos/?ref=page_internal
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRN, the Goff Connection occurred to me immediately! It would be instructive to know more about Stephen Nemtin's work. The only other design I have seen of his was the project for a visitor center for T-West ... nothing residential.
DRN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nemtin was a creative designer. He designed a house on a steep waterfront site in Edmonds, Washington in the early '90's which was included in John Rattenbury's "A Living Architecture". Some pics:

https://stonesthrow.wordpress.com/2008/09/16/pa-road-trip-fallingwater/

http://sonic.net/thorn/zoomersmagazine/article_dreamhome_windintide.html

Nemtin also designed two residential Alzheimer Care facilities, one in Ohio and one in Arizona near Sun City. The buildings were carefully designed to attend to their resident's needs while still respecting their right to dignity and their need for contact with sun, sky, and land. The respective staffs of the buildings were pleased to show them off and comment how humane and pleasant they were. I learned a lot visiting those two buildings.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Floor-plan-and-spaces-and-routes-schemes-from-Corinne-Dolan-Alzheimer-Center-Heather_fig8_320831128
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That helps a bit; wish there were more photos. The Weight House shows a glimmer of Bart Prince, Goff's protégé.

What I got from Stephen, the few times we spoke, was that he was very good at the mechanics of architecture, but I didn't see anything he had designed, so I've had no idea of his aesthetics. He must have been a very modest man, but he was certainly pleasant company.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: