Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

House for E Clarke Arnold, Columbus, WI, 1954
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notice that the above perspectives don't show those flat "trusses," "horizontal beams," "buttresses," call them what you will. They keep the pitched roof from flattening out. Their necessity was obviously determined after the initial design was completed. Perhaps the zig-zag of the walls was regarded as sufficient to the task, then thought better of later on. The flat roofs also improve the aesthetics of the living room.
outside in

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you give Wright enough credit Roderick - he knew exactly how the structure wood work when he was designing the house.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, I see an I-beam over the fireplace opening, but is that long ridge steel or glulam? I cannot tell from those small photos.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outside, the perspective above, showing the end of the living room open, has no indication of a horizontal element on the glazed side of the room, so aesthetic or structural, an adjustment was made to the final built version of the house.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The roof was changed after this elevation, from Monograph 6, was drawn, but the horizontal elements are there, in spades, in this version.

Two of the construction photos from "The Masterworks." If plywood had been available before the war, perhaps it was not when this house was built ?

Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The elevation posted does indeed show the horizontal elements, but not as finally built. The plates form the underside, while the pitched roof is atop those elements. In this elevation, the horizontals hardly give any support.

Thanks for the enlargement, SDR. It does appear that the ridge is steel. Unusual for FLW, considering he fired Edgar Tafel for using an I-beam in Schwartz.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Old Man finally got the message, at some point. I'm sure the steel supporting the Sweeton carport, for instance, wasn't done behind his back.
The no-steel thing dates, wasn't it, to the period when the Usonian was conceived as a five-material structure, with steel confined to rebar, and a pure
wooden "overhead" constructed honestly (if cleverly) of standard lumber sizes ?

On page 85 of "The Natural House" (1954) Wright repeats those five materials: wood, brick, cement, paper and glass. But later, on page 155, we
have the short section "Steel and Glass," where we read, ". . . steel and glass; miraculous materials . . . [that are] enabling building to go in varied directions
with more ease; to go beyond the traditional constraint of the box . . ." from which I infer "carports and overhangs of whatever extent I deem necessary" --
among other things.

SDR
Tom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never bought the "no steel thing"
Wright's work is impossible without it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: