Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Frank Lloyd Wright Ziegler house 1910 for sale

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Frank Lloyd Wright Ziegler house 1910 for sale Reply with quote

https://www.savewright.org/building/zeigler-house/

http://www.peterbeers.net/interests/flw_rt/Kentucky/Ziegler_House/ziegler_house.htm

Seems like a reasonable price for so much Wright. Has anyone here seen this place?
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The former owners who restored the house were early members of FLWBC. They did a fine job of it.

Of course, what sets Ziegler apart from all other FLW houses is that odd cabinetry wrapped around the chimney. I still don't get it.

Last edited by Roderick Grant on Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
peterm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

509 Shelby St. Frankfort, Ky.
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not find a Realtor listing for this property.

According to Wright on the Market it is being sold directly by the current owners.

https://www.savewright.org/building/zeigler-house/?for_sale=1&base-type=wright-on-the-market

Last edited by Paul Ringstrom on Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Frank Lloyd Wright Ziegler house 1910 for sale Reply with quote

peterm: Seems like a reasonable price for so much Wright. Has anyone here seen this place?[/quote]

yes, I have seen this property both inside and out.
peterm

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And... your impressions?
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The house, of course, is an iteration of the original Fireproof House. Many versions of this house were built by Wright and other Prairie School architects. They are all quite livable. The location and size of the porches and entryway differ from each other, but the general plan is constant. The original plan was offered in the April 1907 Ladies Home Journal for $5. There are many "builder" versions out there waiting to be discovered.

The second-floor balconies are a unique touch and add some 3D massing to the exterior. The front patio off the living room, like the Cheney House, is elevated from the sidewalk offering visual privacy from the street without walls or shrubbery. As I remember the lot is deep with a garage on the alley.

The owners prior to the current owners decorated it with Victorian furniture. The current owners have the appropriate interior colors and furnishings. I liked it so much we bought a version of it by Drummond.
peterm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Paul!

Your endorsement should be helpful to those who might consider investing in this place. Frankfort seems like a pleasant enough place...?
SDR

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A compilation of data and documents found in three standard Wright references.

The first-published of these is Monograph 3. Editor B B Pfeiffer provides a useful text, though the sequence of events is fuzzy (leaving where: Illinois, or Germany ?) . . .

Here is a clear set of plans, from W A Storrer:

And drawings from the Monograph. The elevations suggest that the roof pitch was reconsidered after the layout had begun: the chimneys intrude into neighboring territory on the drawing sheets.

Note 2x6 trim fastened to the building with stand-off blocks . . .

Storrer provides a revealing photo of an unremarkable entrance missing its overhead trim, and showing the privacy screen of 4x4 lumber at left:

And in Taschen I, Pfeiffer seems to downgrade Ziegler to the lowest status, with two columns of space including only a second-floor plan and what may be the least flattering Wright photo in the book:

© 1993 by William Allin Storrer

© 1986 A.D.A EDITA Tokyo Co., Ltd; © 2009 by TASCHEN GmbH and by the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation
loo tee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The art glass design proportions and that odd display cabinet above the fireplace noted by Rod Grant have a certain clumsiness that make me think of Marion Mahony, not FLlW. She didn't get things quite Wright.
SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While keeping us guessing about the timeline of the design phase of the project, the editors of the Monographs and of the Conservancy notes on the
house also fail to mention who might have been responsible at the "home office" during this period, while Wright was traveling. Wrightian orthodoxy is
chronically reluctant to give anyone but Mr Wright credit for what was done in his name, it seems to me, thus in some cases veiling the truth about who
did what.

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, there is some hint of what was going on during the European hegira in H. Allen Brooks' book, "The Prairie School." I agree with his assessment:

Ford, MMG with WBG
Irving, FLW with minor fiddling by MMG
Amberg, FLW preliminary sketch with majority of design by MMG
R. Mueller, FLW most likely complete, with a complete reworking by MMG, plan and vertical scale
A. Mueller, MMG through and through

... but no reference to Ziegler. Since Ziegler is dated 1909, I would bet it was mostly by Himself, but that hanging cabinet may well have been an alteration by MMG. Von Holst seems not to have contributed much if anything to the work. I see some of his massing in the A. Mueller House, but only on the exterior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: