Lindal Usonians?

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
peterm

Lindal Usonians?

Post by peterm »

SDR

Post by SDR »

Impressive, from what can be seen. Perhaps no examples have been completed yet ?

It strikes me as a bit presumptuous to cite the specific Usonians that these designs were based on -- or am I being too sensitive ? Maybe it would be dishonest not to name them ?

Well, if that's the worst sin here, we should be glad. Thanks for bringing these to our attention.

SDR

DRN

Post by DRN »

I believe it is salutary and honest to note the design from which the houses are derived. I also find it shrewd from a marketing perspective that the Wright houses selected for inspiration are, for the most part, publicly accessible....�you saw it here and fell in love with it, now you can have a brand new one just like it (well, kind of)�.

Lindal makes good houses. These should be well done. My only downside is this: in time, will these come to be considered Wright houses by the common person and the average Realtor?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Hmm. Probably. They have a hard enough time keeping the Wright name off of non-Wright designs . . . !

And you can't really put up a sign that says "Not a Wright design" -- though one might wish otherwise ?

SDR

Matt

Post by Matt »

Look Great. Someone should have done this ages ago. Are they prefab? Are these "licensed" from the Foundation?

SDR

Post by SDR »

"The homes were created in partnership with the Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation and the School of Architecture at Taliesin"

SDR

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

DRN wrote:will these come to be considered Wright houses by the common person and the average Realtor?
Unfortunately the average realtor has trouble distinguishing between almost all styles of architecture except the traditional vinyl clad builder box.
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

Tom

Post by Tom »

Reading a book with a group of folk,
"The Transparency of Evil" by Jean Baudrillard, a recently deceased french
"post-Marxist" academic sociologist of the fashionable Foucalt line.
Anyway, I do not particularly like the book, mostly because I think he is merely describing symptoms.
Yet he considers: ".... the present state of affairs as after the orgy.
...the orgy was when modernity exploded upon us ... liberation in every sphere,
now all we do is simulate liberation"

SREcklund

Post by SREcklund »

Matt wrote:Look Great. Someone should have done this ages ago. Are they prefab? Are these "licensed" from the Foundation?
The company's Marketing Director has been posting about this over at my Writght Attitude group. Here's their press release ...

https://www.prweb.com/releases/2018/06/ ... 581991.htm

Of note ...

"The designers for the new series are Aris Georges - who taught on faculty at the School of Architecture at Taliesin for many years, and Trina Lindal, a graduate of the School."

No word on how the costs of these will compare with the other Lindal products. I suspect that the designs are just notional, and a client will be able to add or subtract more or less at will; I'll be interested to see what happens the first time a client asks for something that runs contrary to the Wrightian principles on which they claim the designs are based.

That said, here's the generic statement on the website regarding project cost:

"... (O)ur average Lindal package for U.S. clients (design, plans, and materials) is $80 – $120 per square foot. Generally speaking, your construction costs will add 1-2 times the cost of the Lindal package. These are broad estimates; your actual cost could vary greatly, depending on many factors."

Assuming the worst of those numbers, you're looking at around a little over $1M to build the largest of the seven, the Gordon-inspired 2,800-sf Silverton.

One other interesting tidbit is that the launch of the designs apparently sprung from Trina Lindal's final Taliesin Master's project.
Last edited by SREcklund on Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Docent, Hollyhock House - Hollywood, CA
Humble student of the Master

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright

SDR

Post by SDR »

"About Lindal Cedar Homes:

"Lindal Cedar Homes is the world's largest manufacturer of prefabricated post-and-beam homes, made of premium Western red cedar and other high-grade
building materials. The company specializes in designing custom homes for clients, built with an efficient and predictable kit of parts that can be shipped to
build sites anywhere in the world.

"Founded by Sir Walter Lindal in 1945 (and family owned and operated to this day), Lindal Cedar Homes is a leader in home design, engineering, quality
materials and customer service. The Lindal tradition is carried out around the world by hundreds of employees, contractors and independent distributors in
the United States, Canada, Japan, Europe, Australia and other countries. All Lindal Cedar Homes built are backed by an industry-exclusive Lifetime
Structural Warranty."

jay

Post by jay »

5 designs closely based on existing Usonians, and 2 new designs... Does anyone have thoughts/critiques on the newer designs?

The selection of Gordon, Bachman-Wilson, and Penfield makes me wonder what the criteria was for choosing models to base from...? Seems like there's a commonality between those 3. At least, they all used CMU and included a second story...

clydethecat

Post by clydethecat »

I imagine Bachman-Wilson was chosen because it's been in the news. This is even reflected by the word "Crystal" in the title of the project.

SDR

Post by SDR »

I can imagine certain criteria; only the designers, and the company, could verify them. Among the possibilities:

Plans that seem conducive to the so-called "requirements of modern lifestyles."

Designs that technically lend themselves to code-compliant updating, or to prefabrication or precutting, whichever is the more accurate description of what Lindal does.

Variety, of size and of features.

SDR

DRN

Post by DRN »

Along with marketablity of the designs themselves, I suspect that the houses chosen being,for the most part, houses the buying public can actually visit played a significant role. Petersen, Gordon, Bachman-Wilson, and Penfield are all either open for touring or available for overnight stays......Try it on for size before you buy.