Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Rosenbaum letter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JChoate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we've proclaimed, THE photo is a masterpiece on many levels. One such is the composition of form, both architectural and natural: the crisp diagonal slashes of the roof lines alongside the soft diagonal of the dirt road out front. Also, the dominant horizontal lines of the house against the lone vertical tree behind it.

My wife is out of town at the moment traveling with a friend and went to the Rosenbaum house today. She just texted me a snapshot of the skunked earth just east of the house, where the big magnolia used to be -- she reports that it's just been cut down. I know it's not the original tree in THE photo, but it subsequently stood in the same place and provided the same visual function -- a vertical foil against which all that horizontality shines.

Sadly, here's her photo showing the bald spot where the big magnolia once stood.

SDR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's too bad. I wonder what the reason was.

I see now that the new wing has a lower floor level than that of the original. The plan shows three risers down to the new construction, with a further four or five steps down to the new guest room.

plan © 1993 by W A Storrer

Last edited by SDR on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
JChoate

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The report I got was that the roots of the tree had extended underneath the floor of the guest room in the 1949 addition and messed up the concrete slab resulting in water intrusion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: