Morris Gift Shop

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Roderick Grant

Morris Gift Shop

Post by Roderick Grant »

The Morris Gift Shop has been purchased by a "high-end designer fashion boutique," according to FLWBC. They are currently talking to the new owner about maintaining the integrity of the interior (the exterior is protected by local landmark designation). The last time Morris was owned by a clothing store, the racks of product seemed out of place. It works better for art objects, or as originally intended. I hope some creative thinking can bridge that gap.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

I went in for a last look on Friday and heard that the new owners have certain rights to alter the interior and that they might remove the wall segment on the left as you enter.

Even if they respect the building I worry that it won't be as hospitable to us beauty-lovers as Xanadu was. Their merchandise fit the place beautifully, and they took excellent care of it.

We'll see about both.

SDR

Post by SDR »

My first visit to the property occurred in 1976, I believe, with my Nikomat in hand, into the gallery and up the ramp. As I prepared to take a snapshot I was informed by a staff member that no photography was permitted. I recall looking up at the suspended acrylic ceiling and glimpsing the building's original skylight and iron truss roof framing through a gap . . .

SDR

Duncan

VC Morris

Post by Duncan »

I was at a private party in the Morris Gift Shop last week. It has a large "For Lease" sign jammed in the entry grillwork and is looking a little sad, as any vacant building soon becomes. The original furniture is still there, but no plants in the hanging disc planter over the atrium. Apparently it has been purchased by a new owner but not yet tenanted. There is some talk of using it as an "event space." Worrisome.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

It's been available for parties for years. This could be bad news or good, depending on the implementation details.

Paul Ringstrom

Post by Paul Ringstrom »

Article: Inside Frank Lloyd Wright's Spiraling, Eye-Catching 'Mousetrap' On Maiden Lane

new tenant announced.

https://is.gd/gqvpua
Owner of the G. Curtis Yelland House (1910), by Wm. Drummond

SDR

Post by SDR »

It's nice to be brought up to date via a sketched-in history of the occupancy of the building. Interesting detail about changing lamps (fluorescent, now LED) above the acrylic (?) ceiling . . .

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

As I recall, when the Helga Howie Boutique was there, the space didn't lend itself well to the display of clothing. Can't imagine that men's clothing would fare any better. But at least the building is being taken care of.

DavidC

Post by DavidC »

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

Looks like the once gilded dome has been painted white. SDR, inspect and report back.

SDR

Post by SDR »

Will do. Just getting over a cold, so give me a day or two.

S

aimeusdietger

Re: Morris Gift Shop

Post by aimeusdietger »

Roderick Grant wrote:The Morris Gift Shop has been purchased by a "high-end designer fashion boutique," according to FLWBC. They are currently talking to the new owner about maintaining the integrity of the interior (the exterior is protected by local landmark designation). The last time Morris was owned by a clothing store, the racks of product seemed out of place. It works better for art objects, or as originally intended. I hope some creative thinking can bridge that gap.
I'm always a big fan of buildings with rich history being preserved and maintained. The Morris Gift Shop will definitely suit a creative brand that will maximize its interiors. However, the first goal is to make sure the building stands and maintains high quality.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

I have mixed feelings about the new regime. Could be worse, could be better (and was, while Xanadu was there).

Matt

Post by Matt »

My dream is to buy the place and turn it into a residence. The coolest bach-pad in San Fran.