Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Bach, continued
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(impressed with the knowledge of music here.
not obsequious - just admiring)
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy. There is never much incentive to try unfamiliar music, when there is so much available of the the stuff we know we enjoy. But exploration of the
unfamiliar sometimes rewards the daring or curious individual. And in my experience, music that stays with one is not always "love at first sight";
second and third exposures are often necessary before what's there really hits home.

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true. Often the complexity of great music can sound chaotic upon first listening, only to fall into place after repeated exposure.

I have heard Bach's work all my life, but Boccherini sort of slipped by without notice. Then Laurie Virr brought up his name, and I listened. Now I have to stock up on Boccherini recordings!
SDR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't we 21st-Century humans blessed: the world's many musics are at our fingertips, and virtually free for the asking. Barely a dozen decades after commercial sound recording appeared, we now have this cornucopia of pleasure.

I made note of some highlights in Bach's St Matthew Passion, in the YouTube video recording mentioned on the previous page. In addition to the opening chorus and closing of the first part, we have these moments:

Soprano/Alto duet 1:00:50

Alto aria 1:31:52

Bass aria 1:41:50

Soprano aria 1:52:55

Bass recitative 2:31:45 and aria 2:33:45

Final chorus 2:44:01

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listeners who would rather listen to -- or ignore -- Latin, than German, can turn to Bach's Mass in B Minor, his notable foray into a text in that language.

In the twentieth century we paid homage to this piece, declaring it to be the most profound of the composer's choral works. It's a pleasure, therefore, to
find a light and joyful rendition of the score. This performance is Baroque "easy listening" at its finest. All of Bach's genius is here, minus the ponderous
weight of tradition, real or imagined, upon on the musical offering.

At an hour and three-quarters, this will provide an extended period of pleasure without having to decide "what to listen to next" -- or it can be taken in
smaller doses at will. Either way, enjoy !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY1w3EhXqwo

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "B Minor" overshadows the 4 Missa Brevis, or Lutheran Masses comprised of snippets from Bach's 200+ Cantatas. The masses are wonderful ... and considerably shorter than the Big B!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: