Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Rose and Gertrude Pauson house
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 88, 89, 90  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j_f

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom:

Quote:
Never noticed that window before.
Will keep my eye open for closer shots.
It seems it might consist of triangles:
two light pointing up and one dark pointing down

To me it seems as if these "triangles" are simply drapes...
j_f

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David:

Quote:
"On the other hand, the small window of this room that is located on the northwest facade does not appear in Wright's drawings.
Maybe it was a request from the client that had to be designed at the last minute?"

Wright Green, A.(2011). Building the Pauson House. San Francisco: Pomegranate, p.28.

In this plan from March 1940 - signed by both Ellis the contractor and Rose Pauson - you see the window and that the shape of the fireplace wasn´t clear at the time.
Also that the opening was intended to be a wardrobe. Further you see the lozenge-shaped mullions.

Last edited by j_f on Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Tom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large lozenge shaped mullions in plan drawing above

Question: in the enlarged master bedroom plan there is a note on the
balcony decking: "wear coat" ... or something like that.
Anybody know what that was?
j_f

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ David

Quote:
A room that I have unfinish in my model and that I would like to recreate is the master bedroom. Unfortunately I have not found any pictures of this room so my main question is about the fireplace. How do you think the design was?

-does that mean you have pictures of the rest of the upper floor?

Not to knock your really outstanding work, but since you´re open to suggestions...
When revisiting the master bedroom you might wanna check this discrepancy (distortion and angle aside) with the overlapping/intersecting part of the roof and the chimney

David Romero / L. Dahl-Wolfe; Harper´s Bazaar; January 1942 p.40
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, j_f. New information, on drawings not previously published, continues to surface. I had seen neither this drawing not the one(s) WJS showed us. Can you cite a source ?

Can you tell us what the unit dimension is ? It's noted on the drawing, at lower left, but I can't read it.

I'll have to look at the previous drawings for confirmation, but it's surprising -- isn't it -- to see window mullions falling between unit lines rather than on them . . .

Tom, Mr Wright was always open to the latest materials. Usonian drawings are sprinkled with trade names of new surfaces and sealants, for instance, most of them unfamiliar to us today.

SDR
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Storrer's plan, page two, the mullions are shown just off-grid; the "Arizona Highways" plan on page 9 shows them at mid-unit. Those latter plans seem most similar to the one j_f brings us ?

A color photo on page 7 almost shows the kitchen/dining window mullions. I read them as fin-shaped, like the living-room ones. Their shape seems to vary on the plan drawings cited . . .

SDR
j_f

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added the source.

The unit of the Pauson House grid is 3'6" square
The scale of I think all drawings I´ve seen so far is 1/4" = 1'-0" (except for the details of course)

And yes you are right, it is surprising and a part of my /(our studio´s) research as in how FLLW operated with the often varying grids in terms of positioning.
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'd be interested to find other examples of "wandering grids"; I can't say I've noticed this in other projects.

The lozenge-section mullion is a surprise in this project, as most of the detailing is as direct (and orthogonal) as in any Usonian -- isn't it ?

SDR
David

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks j_f for pointing out the inaccuracy of the fireplace in my model, I will take it into account.

Unfortunately I do not have photographs of the upper part of the house, not even my model is very developed in those areas, Jeff's model (which you can find at some point in this thread) has done a great job defining the entire top of the house in his model
SDR

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure. But it's a lovely model. Each digital artist brings a fresh perspective -- new choices of color, texture, lighting -- to a given work of architecture. When
I saw the detail image above, I thought "Ooh -- a photo I haven't seen before." No watercolor or colored-pencil rendering -- or photo -- could capture the
building in just that way . . .

I think j_f will be a force to be reckoned with, as they say. Now to (belatedly) acquire my copy of the Pauson book. Tsk tsk !

SDR
Tom

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR: the Pauson book is small and mostly concerend with the history of personal relations during the project.
Not a lot of technical info between the covers if I remember correctly.
Meisolus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom is correct about the Pauson book. Its quite diminutive, but there are a good amount of photos and I believe you can find it for a reasonable price. It chiefly consists of the correspondence between Rose Pauson and Wright, which is very interesting on its own.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.

Did the plan that j_f posted above come from the book ?

SDR
Meisolus

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did the plan that j_f posted above come from the book?

Yes, it is featured in the book, along with several others from various phases of the design.
Meisolus

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched "Diana Vreeland: The Eye Has to Travel" on Amazon Prime. It made a brief mention of the Pauson House photo shoot for Harper's Bazaar in 1942 and had a quick image of what looked like a contact sheet (around 27:15). I did a little digging and found this article:

http://news.fitnyc.edu/2016/03/03/exhibition-the-women-of-harpers-bazaar-1936-1958/

It mentions the "Behind-the-scenes photographs and alternate images from the famous 1942 Arizona desert photo shoot at Frank Lloyd Wright’s Pauson house." Of course this means there are unpublished photos taken at the house. While they are probably meant to feature the models, who knows what could be in the background? Maybe one was taken in front of the bedroom fireplace, you never know. Has anyone ever looked into this?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 88, 89, 90  Next
Page 89 of 90

Jump to: