Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Zimmerman House auction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Ringstrom

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Zimmerman House auction Reply with quote

http://www.nh1.com/news/new-hampshire/step-back-in-time-you-can-dine-at-a-frank-lloyd-wright-house-in-nh
saracraw

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We view the Zimmerman House as a component of the Currier Museum's gathering. Guests see the house on guided visits. We are eager to offer this extremely uncommon sale thing, not just in light of the fact that it constructs bolster for the custom assignment help exhibition hall, yet additionally in light of the fact that our unique visitors can appreciate this memorable house in the manner in which it was planned, as a private involvement with music, craftsmanship, and sustenance.
SREcklund

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great idea, and in line with how a number of other organizations, the Conservancy among them, leverage Wright properties for fundraising efforts.

"Youth is a circumstance you can't do anything about. The trick is to grow up without getting old." - Frank Lloyd Wright
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As nice as it is to see Zimmerman House in all its glory as a publicly accessible work of art, it is a shame that this most livable of houses is no longer a private residence. Same is true of Kraus, and, provided it survives at all, David Wright. It subtly hints that they are no longer valid as residences.

Some houses have no other choice than to become public, such as Hollyhock, but there should be an effort to keep theose that can be retained privately owned. I don't know what the current situation is at Sturges, but I suspect it, too, will end up with walk-through tours ... which take about 4 minutes.
SDR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might it not be the case that public interest in works of architectural genius trumps private interest -- that anyone contemplating owning and living in a
Wright home knows that a) their lives will be interrupted constantly by strangers, that b) they are merely custodians of history, rather than true and
unencumbered owners, and that c) the burden of responsibilities and costs associated with their ownership are unlikely to be lifted at any point before
their final capitulation, with the sale of the house to the next lucky owner ?

SDR
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SDR, I take your point that public accessibility has value, but it also sends a message that these houses are curiosities that are not really livable. Whenever I have given tours through houses by FLW (plus RMS), there have been visitors that make that comment, "It's interesting, but I can't imagine living in it."

That public interest trumps private interest is a value judgment that I don't buy at all. The public presentation is different from the private tour. While I have met a few FLW home owners who resented being bothered by visitors, most enjoy showing off their home, and find they get more out of the experience than the visitors do. And "merely" has nothing to do with any of it.
DRN

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If more of the sort of people who can afford a house designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, especially those on pricey lots, could be satisfied with a soulful home that has 1500 to 3000 sq ft and learn to accept closets, kitchens, and baths sized as closets, kitchens, and baths, more Wright houses would still be private residences, and not house museums or threatened works.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: