Wright Chat

FAQ FAQ Register Register
Search Search Profile Profile
Memberlist Memberlist Log in to check your private messages Log in to check your private messages
Usergroups Usergroups Log in Log in

>> Return to SaveWright Home Page

Malcolm Wells' Ellis House, Cherry Hill, NJ: Forclosure Sale
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRN

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The walls throughout the house are a rough sand finish plaster over drywall, or stucco over CMU. All surfaces are painted. The living room walls to either side of the fireplace are stucco and appear to have been painted an off white color with a rust color accent applied with a lightly dragged sponge.

The floors in the living spaces of the house are carpeted, or waxed exposed aggregate concrete with grid insets of wood. Bath floors are 1x1 tile that matches the vanities.
pgharchfan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently walked around Wells' complex for the RCA Company in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida. It is now a multi-tenant office complex. It's very Wrightian in it's long horizontal lines.

It's pictured here. http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/15031169/3960-RCA-Blvd-Palm-Beach-Gardens-FL/
DRN

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Googling, I found this thread and thought I should update it. I’m very glad to share that Mac’s Ellis house was bought by a preservation minded owner several years ago. A lot of deferred maintenance has been addressed and the house is looking better than it has in more than a decade.

I should also note Mac’s Hunt house also in Cherry Hill was purchased by an architect, and it too is in good hands.
SDR

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this Hunt ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7EkdEGjpQM

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. The Hunt Tract noted in the RE listing was a subdivision in which Wells designed his own house, the Ellis house, three other houses (of which the house for sale is one), a house addition, and the community swim club (now mostly demolished). Louis Kahn’s Clever house is also in the Hunt Tract.
The house for sale has been altered considerably from Wells’ original; little of his hand is still evident.

The Hunt house (no relation) is 5 miles away in a different subdivision, situated in a ravine filled with holly trees.
SDR

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it published, or photographed ?

SDR
DRN

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge it hasn’t.
Wells’ built project list, on file at the Cherry Hill Historical Commission archive has a notation for the Hunt house in Wells’ hand: “oversized birdhouse modern”. The house, despite Wells’ characteristic self deprecating humor, is a treehouse-like wood framed structure with steeply pitched roofs that bridges a small heavily wooded ravine. The house is difficult to photograph from public ways due to Mac’s preservation of the surrounding understory holly trees. I linked realtor photos to a now unfindable Chat thread some years ago.

I visited the house once, but photography was not permitted. Despite a Euro kitchen remodel, the house is otherwise unmolested, well composed, and fun.
Roderick Grant

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It Looks Traditional - But Is It?" That's the title of an article by Curtis Besinger in the October 1962 issue of HB (184-193) about the cover house designed by Wells for his own family. I remembered that issue, and was delighted to find a copy in a used book store 40 years later. Beautiful house.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wright Chat Forum Index -> Click Here for General Discussion Posts All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: