Harwell Harris Mulvihill House

To control SPAM, you must now be a registered user to post to this Message Board.

EFFECTIVE 14 Nov. 2012 PRIVATE MESSAGING HAS BEEN RE-ENABLED. IF YOU RECEIVE A SUSPICIOUS DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS AND PLEASE REPORT TO THE ADMINISTRATOR FOR FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

This is the Frank Lloyd Wright Building Conservancy's Message Board. Wright enthusiasts can post questions and comments, and other people visiting the site can respond.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, *-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time they see fit.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Nice Website

SDR

Post by SDR »

Now I"m looking for a little water-side house, by Breuer I'm almost sure, In Connecticut I think, with a ramp to the door and end panels (for privacy) that are diagonally sheathed.

SDR

Matt

Post by Matt »

Was the Gregory farmhouse by Wurster the first? Designed in '29

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/gregor ... am-w-55032

Tom

Post by Tom »

If '29 is correct it beats Wright's Willey house by six years.
Although blaming the ranch house on Wright is kinda superficial.

Reidy

Post by Reidy »

The Wurster looks like a straightforward rural California house that could have been built any time from 1800 to 1950, with long, covered breezeways, a trellis and plenty of room to work outdoors. Am I missing something?

Matt

Post by Matt »

I'm looking at it purely from the interest in vertical wood siding. I think Wurster added a V groove which does result in a shadowline, but others in the northwest mounted is flush (Yeon, Belluschi).

Willy is brick. I'm not sure if Wright every used vertical mounted siding and his Usonians never had flush mounted boards, right?

SDR

Post by SDR »

Right -- I believe. Some Usonian ceilings are flat boards, typically with a V-groove of some sort.

Wurster's early farmhouse predicts his later work: plain and orthodox -- vernacular -- detailing, using common material. Wurster:
"Interiors of Douglas fir plywood are more expensive than sheet rock but look cheaper, so we use Douglas fir plywood" (quoted by Joe Esherick).

SDR

Tom

Post by Tom »

Oh yeah, I mentioned Willey only in reference to ranch house influence not vertical siding.
Sorry for curve ball
Love that quip from Wurster ... read that before but had forgotten ... summarizes the architects dilemma

SDR

Post by SDR »

Methinks he doth protest too much; it's like apologizing for the wrong "fault" ? But it acknowledges, in an oblique manner, the architect's preference for "cheap" (i.e., plain) material and detailing choices . . . I guess.

Wurster got high praise from his colleagues. In a slender but large-format publication that appeared in conjunction with an exhibition, three of them describe the work, and the office in San Francisco, from the later '30s on.

SDR

Roderick Grant

Post by Roderick Grant »

FLW called him "William Worse Than Wurster."

But I think he was just being a bit too smart, like Noel Coward, who of actor Keir Dullea, said "Keir Dullea, gone tomorrow."

SDR

Post by SDR »

One would hope. Wurster, of all people, was neither a threat nor a competitor to Wright, merely a competent and quietly innovative practitioner.

Come to think of it, that in itself might be a sort of challenge . . . !

Frankly, I'm surprised FLLW had heard of him.

SDR